I Forge Iron

Stainless steel and Hexavalent Chromium

I was reading through here and didn't see this mentioned anywhere so here it is. Now as far as TIG welding goes, you are fine as far as I know, but when SMAW welding stainless steel you must wear the appropriate respirator and have adequate ventilation. I do not know how this pertains to forging as I know nothing about forging stainless steel. Just figured I would open this thread to see if anyone else could shed some knowledge on the subject. This is just something I remember from high school and my time as a structural ironworker. Hexavalent Chromium is a carcinogen (cancer causing) and will mess you up if it is something you are frequently around.

-Crazy Ivan

Your search for the term hexavalent returned 23 results

Your search for the term chromium returned 150 results

You may want to read what is already been discussed, condense the 23 results and post the information here.  Then if need be refine your question and ask again. 

I am not avoiding your question, just saying that it may have already been answered.

Woops, forgot there is a search bar, sorry I'm not too computer savvy. Now to answer my own question, it is not a problem forging stainless steel, unless you get it up to welding heat in which case the hexavalent chromium is released. You need to actually melt the chromium to make it into a hexavalent state. Sorry about the redundancy Glenn, I'm sure I will remember there is a search bar now (works way better then scanning the forum anyways!)

-Crazy Ivan

• 5 months later...

When I watched Erin Brockovich with a veterinarian I know and they started talking about drinking water that was contaminated with hexavalent chromium she about jumped off the couch like she sat on a pin! The look on her face was horror and she then told us non-medical types this was very very bad.