I Forge Iron

Industrial Chain Saw Knife

jmccustomknives

So a guy brings me about 30lbs of industrial Chain Saw, it's about four times the size of a normal chain, and several sets of antlers and say's, "Can you make a knife for me from this." 

I like a good challenge so I said, "sure".

I'm a little puzzled by the way it forged.  Seemed a little soft under the hammer.  Then again I might have just had my Wheaties that day.

Any one had any experience with these large chain saw blades?  These are the ones that are used in the machines that delimb and cut the logs.

58336425-ee18-486c-abce-0140c69baa40.jpg

I've also recently forged chain for my first time. All the empty space inside made the first couple heats seemed as if it was compressing... which it was pretty much. After forged into a billet, it worked as easily as O1 and hardened similarly. Your pattern is more vibrant than mine though, I found it really subdued. Your knife is also nicer than the one I made, haha.

Nice looking blade, distinct pattern with good contrast.

That saw chain comes off one version of a "feller buncher." Pretty awesome machines in use, watch from a distance though, they throw debris. . . HARD, like a brush hog.

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks like good work to me :)

Did it harden up OK?

Dave

It hardened up pretty good.  I only etched it once, probably could have gotten a better pattern with another round or two. 

When I say, "soft under the hammer" that was after it was welded up. 

Thanks guys, it's by far not my best work.  I was just curious if anyone else has experience with this stuff.  I have plenty to play with. :D