I Forge Iron

If you can't be with the one you love...

Cajun66

in the interest of getting a fire going as soon as possible, instead of fashioning a dump gate, the end of the ash dump pipe can just terminate in a bucket of water under the forge. As long as the surface of the water covers the bottom of the ash dump pipe, the air blast will go to the fire and the ashes will be extinguished as they fall thru.

That was my solution when the pipe cap I screwed onto my ashdump had to be cut off with a grinder.

in the interest of getting a fire going as soon as possible, instead of fashioning a dump gate, the end of the ash dump pipe can just terminate in a bucket of water under the forge. As long as the surface of the water covers the bottom of the ash dump pipe, the air blast will go to the fire and the ashes will be extinguished as they fall thru.

That was my solution when the pipe cap I screwed onto my ashdump had to be cut off with a grinder.

Yea. The pipe cap didn't look too good. But I had several rain caps laying around. The fire will be in the future unless I get impatient and use charcoal.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you will find the air holes maybe a problem for your forge in the future. 

The pipe size left is 2 inches with a single bolt and 3 inches which actually needs 2 bolts across the opening. The other air pipe is 2-1/4 inches with 2 pieces of 1/4 inch rod as a grate. It is the amount of air that makes a fire hot, not the amount of fuel on the fire. You can over fuel the fire and it actually works better..

How'd that go?

I need to get some fuel first. Nearest coal is 1.5 hours away. Been too busy so far.

I think you will find the air holes maybe a problem for your forge in the future. 

attachicon.gifforge 1.jpg attachicon.gifforge 3.jpg

The pipe size left is 2 inches with a single bolt and 3 inches which actually needs 2 bolts across the opening. The other air pipe is 2-1/4 inches with 2 pieces of 1/4 inch rod as a grate. It is the amount of air that makes a fire hot, not the amount of fuel on the fire. You can over fuel the fire and it actually works better..

Thanks for the input. I have around a ton of 1/4' round bar. I'll build a cross that fits.

I suggest you try ONE piece of 3/8 round bar or a 3/8 inch bolt across the center. Tack weld on one side of the opening and test drive the forge. Think of it as a work in progress, and if you need to change it, break the tack weld and make the changes. At some point you will need a forge that heats differently for the project at hand. Build the second forge using the knowledge you gained from the first forge. No one ever said you could only have one forge. (grin)

For your next project,,,,,
You always gotta have a next project. (grin)

Build a similar table with the near angle iron turned down (
that is to say rest one leg of the angle iron flat on the table top) to leave NO lip on the working side of the table. This will be positioned beside your forge table. This table will be called a HOT TABLE and hold all the metal going into or coming out of the forge.

Before you move anything from the HOT TABLE to anywhere else, you MUST put that item into the water, and transfer it to you BARE HAND and only then place it somewhere else. That way no one can ever get burned as you had the metal in your bare hand before they picked it up. 

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks. Coincidently, I should have a few exhaust rain caps laying around. (Did I mention I'm a heavy equipment mechanic?) ;)

I don't think the engine on the stand in the 3rd picture is from a piece of heavy equipment. ;)  :P

Although it is good german engineering.

Reece

Nice job on the forge, dude. 'Wish I had some sic welding skills. I set the air inlet port at about 40 deg. Incidence to the tuyere on my forge. I can then inject air from a low pressure/high volume compressor. Variable flow is achieved using a venturi at the port. Ash and the heavier chunks drop right through the open tuyere into a bucket of water.

As far as fuel is concerned, what's wrong with charcoal? If your willing to drive 90 mins. for coal, you can take the money you'd spend on gas and put it toward a couple bags of lump charcoal. That would get you started until you could (a)make your own, or (b) find yourself in an area where you could get some coal with out making a special trip.

Send some pics when you get'er fired up!

Jim L.