I Forge Iron

welding up a forge pot

ironsmith

Cast iron does not like to be arc welded, the welds will tear out on the grain lines when heated and cooled because of the differences in expansion and contraction rates. In other words, its gonna fall off, probably at a critical point.

Brazing would fail at those temps as well, that leaves mechanical fastening: threads or gravity.

Old fashioned cast iron body firepots just dropped in an undersized hole in the table, the lip of the pot kept them in place.

Add a nipple between the T and the base of the fire pot. You can then weld the nipple to the fire pot. No clinker breaker is needed but you will need to weld a couple of 3/8 rods (bolts) across the opening to serve as a grate. Add a 6 to 9 inch pipe to the branch for incoming air and a foot or more of down pipe to collect the ash. 

Thanks Glenn, I was thinking of getting an 18 inch pipe nipple, cut the top 3 inches for the base to T section, then use the rest for the bottom drop. then weld up a counterweight hinged ash dump at the end. waiting on a friend to get back to me about a blower. then I will figure out plumbing that up.