I Forge Iron

CO detectors in the smithy

YES I DO and it has a digital read out. I ran an emission test station for cars for 5 years and i have suffered from the health effects longterm exposure to low level CO as well as some close calls with high level exposure. If you don't have a CO detector in your shop, PLEASE keep your life insurance paid up. CO levels put out by a reducing atmosphere forge will kill you with in minutes. Excuse me for the yelling but this is a subject that will make me pull out my soap box.

No CO2 detector, have a hard time keeping heat in, its well ventilated, besides over the years I have learned that one comes built in, it goes off by giving me a slight headache, then outside I go, even the little CO2 in Mechanics garages will set it off.

I went to the Ford dealership one winter too remove two broken studs, 3 steps inside the door and I got a whopper of a headache. Told the shop foreman to open all the doors and get everyone outside immediately, they had to help two mechanics outside from the back part.

I have run coal with almost no smoke under shelters, and in eddy areas. A headache is an indication something is not right. Fresh air has been the answer. I now listen to my body, but I do wish it would speak a bit louder sometimes.

I suspect CO or CO2.

I do not have a CO detector. My forge is located next to the garage door. On the other side of the shop I have an open widow with a high speed fan blowing outside. This creates a nice cross breeze which is great for forging, welding, grinding and other mess making activies.