I Forge Iron

how do you attach your HC bit to a ax, hawk, hatchet?

I've heard those called "wrap and weld" axes.

I would think the technique would differ depending on your purpose.  If you're making a brand new axe, it makes more sense to sandwich the HC bit material in between the softer body, but if you're re-steeling an axe, and don't want to split the body, then making the V with the HC would be less fussing around.

On another forum and on youtube I've seen the outer HC wrap method on new axes. My opinion is if I'm going to the trouble of making an axe, I'd want to be able to use it until it's all ground and honed away.

However I do have an issue with internal HC in an axe, and especially those that have been tempered by drawing color. I would think these became softer and softer as you wear it.

Then we have the single bevel (hewing and log cabin) axe with HC on one side and mild on the other.

One of my adzes has a pad of HC on the back of most of the workiking end it's less than 1/8" thick and was a factory made item.  My broad axe has a strip of HC welded on the edge

Some of my old chisels have a steel layer all the way along the back.  (Ohio fleamarkets have a lot of *OLD* tools...