I Forge Iron

Post quenching problem with 5160

I have notices that sometimes after quenching 5160, the blade will sometimes curve out of wack slightly. Is this a problem from possibly uneven heat prior to the quench? The heat looks even and it is not a constant problem but is very annoying when it does happen. The quench i am using is sunflower oil and i am using a 2 burner LP forge. Also, possibly because I am using a coil spring for stock and the steel is trying to return to its original shape? I annealed the steel prior to forging, normalized after, and then the quench and temper. Is there a way to avoid this happening?

-Crazy Ivan

Uneven hammering can cause warping also. Try to forge each side of the blade with as equal a number of hammer blows as possible. 

When quenching you can limit your movement of the blade to up and down and spine to edge with out the sideways movement.

When you do encounter warping it can be straightened after removing the blade from the quench and prying it between slightly opened vice jaws as long as the blade is still 800*F or hotter. Your window for doing this is quite short so work quickly. 

Bevels off center, leaning the blade to one side.  As you can see a lot can go wrong.  Thin blades are really prone to warpage.  The nice thing about 5160 is a quick soft back draw, bring it up to the proper tempering tempurature and you can straiten it (not with a hammer).  I'll use my twisting wrench and vice, I'm sure others here have their own methods.  Just take your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Great post. Lots of good info. Thanks everyone.
And Crazy Ivan, we'd love to see pics of the finished blade.

I don't have any pictures of the exact one I made during this posting, but i do have pics of a similar one made about 9 months ago. I will try and get it posted on here tomorrow or later tonight. (my girlfriend is the computer wiz, not me so its more about her schedule then mine haha)

-Crazy Ivan

Something I do which alot recommend is use apiece of angle iron or similar. Strong enough not to bend at tempering heat. Temper the blade with it attached to the angle iron raised by some pennies or some kind of shim. I use pennies or those new dollars or something. Use one of those little twist clamps. Bend the blade in the opposite direction of the bend, I usually go a little over then when its been at tempering temp (400f or above) I take it out still attached and dunk it in sink full of water. This will help set it. Is only one way of doing it, there are many others.