I Forge Iron

Power Hammer plans?

Hi all!
Ive recently had the oppertunity to work with a huge massey powerhammer and I really liked the time it saved on big projects. Im wondering if anybody has plans to build a power hammer thats easy to fabricate?
If you own a powerhammer please post a pic and give some specs. Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks
Bb

The IForgeIron Blueprints have several listings on how to make power hammers, mechanical hammers etc.

BP0208 Power Hammer Construction
BP0186 Oliver, the Hammer
BP0146 Building a Power Hammer
BP0134 Power Hammer

There are others I am sure.

Thanks for the replies guys. Mike I really like the krusty plans, think Ill go with that! Glenn thanks for all the blueprint links.
Its really nice of Daniel Gentile to make the Krusty plans available to all.Now all I have to do is find the time and parts to build one!:(
Maybe in a couple of months....:cool:
Thanks again
Bb

I've been looking at the helve hammer that is in the blueprint section here. It seems to have a small footprint and with the size of the dies it looks like it should have a good sized punch. I have been looking at the sheet metal web sites for drive ideas and found one that uses a wheel barrow tire for a drive instead of a belt which looks like a good idea except maybe use a small trailer tire instead. Lots of good ideas out there and in here too.

Blackbeard, If you havent already I would try out a few of the 'home made' hammers before you build one, if youve had a go on a Massey it is a world apart from any DIY hammer (and the new gereration of commercially available hammers) , you might end up very disapointed with what you build -

Bigger (seperate anvil hammers) can be bought very cheaply if you scout round enough - ( though obviously you will cop it on transport & installation costs :)

• 1 year later...

After much I have come to the conclusion "that there is no easy way" to get power.
Unless you call a pile of money easy. All those who build hammers and then "give"
the plan here or there,they always seem to leave so small detail out. Weather it be
the true nature of the the true nature pneumaticsure or of the drive mechenism.
There is always something. And so my search goes on. But first I am fighting getting
a new shop building. I have collected 5 air cylinders, 4 with nearly new air cylinders.
I also have 2 roller valves and 4- 2/4 spool valves and 2 - 2/5 bosch air valves.
I purchased them relatively cheap and will be bringing them to madison along with
all the info I have.