I Forge Iron

table protection

Fredy

hello everybody , I am new in here , just a quick consultacion I just forged a garden table from the tree of live series my question is what is the best way to protect the mild steel table from the rigours of the weather, someone mention bees wax but I don't think that is enough I will apretiate any advice and best products cheers

Fredy

I have used clear gloss "Wipe On Polyeurethane". Minwax makes it I believe, and they sell it at Lowes. Its different than the kind you spread with a brush. To make thicker coats, let it dry, sand it lightly, and apply again. Repeat until desired thickness. It has kept quite a few outdoor items I have made rust free for 6 months now.

Fredy:   Outdoor pieces need more than wax against the aspects of weather.  After you have reached the finish you want, you would need to cover it with a clear coating auto lacquer, for example.  Even with that, it is impossible to protect a piece forever against the weather.  Some have used a mix of turpentine, bees wax, and linseed oil.  This mix has been mentioned many times on this website.  Painting it a color and then clear coating would also work for a time.  I can't speak for the Minwax product.  Auto paint is designed to be outside and so I've use their primer, paint and clear coating on water fountains and even on pieces that go indoors. Good luck.

I've heard from other forum users that spray on acrylic laquer works as an exteriror finish. It comes in a variety of colours, including clear, and comes in matt or gloss. Automotive shops sell it because it's used as a cealant over car paint work.

Are you on the coast by an ocean or deep within a country?  Are you in a Cold Wet, Hot Wet or a dry climate?  IS UV horrendous in your area or is it hardly ever a problem.

Anyway without knowing the specifics; I'll assume the worst and tell you that the best way to protect an outdoor mild steel table is to make it from stainless steel.