I Forge Iron

Forge D2 or forget it?

elkdoc

Elkdoc:

All depends upon what you call "forgeable". It is a bit red hard (hard to move under a hammer) but all that means is you will be working harder. Add the fact that it is a air hardening steel with the added steps of not working below 1700F and then having to do a furnace cool, well...if you aren't a bit more "experienced" in doing this sort of thing yet, I'd say pass on the D-2 until you get certain that you can properly handle the thermal requirements and not screw up a good piece of steel as well as ruin all the work you've "invested"..

Now don't get me wrong, D-2 is a very decent steel,especially in edge holding, but like any other air hardening steel, I wouldn't suggest using it to anyone who is not familiar with the thermal requirements to properly anneal it after working, as well as the thermal range it must be worked in to prevent it from hardening in the first place. Using an air hardening steel means paying close attention to the working temps and immediate furnace cool after forging.

If you want to give this a try, drop me a note and I will walk you through it.. It's not hard but there are a few extra steps involved...

Hope this helps..

JPH

The problem is not so much in forging D2 as in the heat treat of it. To get the best out of it you need the "formal" heat treat and not a seat of the pants, temps by eye sort of thing smiths are wont to do.

It can laugh ay you when you hit it with a hammer too...

Thomas

I have made several knives with D2 and have ground the blades to shape with a belt grinder. Along with a correct heat treat they are really great knives. Although not a stainless by the book they are real close,,,a bit of care with use and they stay clean and sharp. To mirror finish is a bit tricky,,however if you get a nice finish and bead blast they look real slick...And did I mention that I like the stuff? hahaha