I Forge Iron

Oh what a difference the right tool makes!

This looked to be the closest forum, so if it is the wrong place, feel free to move it.

When I first learned how to silver solder, I didn't have much of a budget.  So, I got the cheapie Bernz-o-matic Oxy-MAPP rig.  Given that their O2 bottles have almost no gas in them, I cut the O2 connector off, and attached a real Oxy regulator and switched to Propane for the fuel gas side.  Mainly for cleanliness of my soldering and cooler flame color.

Well, it worked after a fashion.  I could solder with it, but it always took me a lot of time and usually left a lot of fire-scale, even when I was using the spray flux like Prip's.  (Actualy Cupronil)

Recently, I picked up a multi-fuel Smith brand Little Torch. 

I just have to say I'm amazed how much EASIER it is to solder now.  Especially now that I can change the tip sizes to get different heats.  With the larger tips I can get enough heat where I want it that the solder just jumps into the joint before the rest of the piece heats up to where I'm risking popping previous solder joints.  And with the smaller tips, I can jump solder 28ga bezel wire without worrying about melting the ends away.

I can't believe I took so long to switch, given how much of an advocate I am for buying the right tool for the job!

I'm giddy with joy over this!  I'd been putting this part of the job off for way too long.  Especially since the first time I tried to use this torch I didn't grasp that I had my flame size way too small until the very end of the job.  Armed with that knowledge, this was so much faster and easier with less heat damage to the piece.  I still have a ways to go with my technique, but I'm now well on my way.

I know what you mean, the right tool makes all the difference.  Years ago I was working on my old parts truck trying to get a part off.  After a couple of hours of frustration I hit the fender with my crow bar :angry: .  I hurt me worse than the truck (cue the cartoon where the vibrations travel up the tool and rattle my teeth) :wacko: .  Got the right tool, it was of in 5 min. B)

Smith makes excellent small torches.

There's a lot to be said for learning to get a tool to do what it wasn't intended for but that's for when you don't have a choice or maybe it's a one off. But if a guy's going to do it for a living nothing beats the right tools, nothing. A good torch is an indispensable and cherished part of a shop.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...