I Forge Iron

Tire hammer

I am in the process of accumalating the parts to build a ray cluntz (clay spencer) tire hammer i have an unlimited supply of 1/2 hp motors . My question how critical is the 1 hp motor or would a 1/2 hp handle the hammer fine i know typically more is better

My tire hammer (with a 35# head) runs fine with a 1/2 hp motor. Its an old motor with a cast iron case and I have heard the older motors are stronger than today's motors but I cannot confirm or deny this.

Clay is going to be at the prairie blacksmiths conference this month for any one in the grand island Nebraska area.

It is our fall conference. He will be going over his tire hammer and his treadle hammer.

Clay is going to be at the prairie blacksmiths conference this month for any one in the grand island Nebraska area.

It is our fall conference. He will be going over his tire hammer and his treadle hammer.

I'm not sure, but I believe you have to be a member to attend. That is not to say its closed to non-members but for a $15.00 fee anyone can join. In past years there has also been an entry fee but I can't find any info even on the PBA site. The Oct 2013 is posted but nothing about the conference. Probably one of the reasons the PBA page here is inactive. Unfortunately, it seems to be a lack of participation. The membership roster hasn't been updated since 2009 :(

My 50lb. LG runs fine on a 1/2hp motor, it's geared a little on the slow side but it works just fine, the motor doesn't get hot or drag down or sow other signs of being under powered.

Frosty The Lucky.

The motor shop I had check out the original motor for my hammer told me that if I ever replaced it with a modern motor I should go 1.5 times the original PH as the Massively Large old motor had a heck of a lot more moment arm to use than a modern compact motor

sorry all dodge would love to have you back in the PBA we are redesigning somethings in the group and have had some growing pains. but we are alive and kicking. i am working on redoing our news letter and we have some reconnecting with other groups. it is hard sometimes when a big part of the group is on one side of the state and there is a smaller number of us on the other side.

any how, the PBA fall conference is the 12th and 13th of this month, it is this weekend. i thought it was next weekend. it is for members , membership is $15 saturday and sunday are $45 or $30 a day. spouses and minor dependents are free.

you could read it that way, but i am keeping mine she will work beside me pounding hot iron or building a house. as for the pba spouses and dependents get into the conference for free but maybe we need to rethink that,might or might not help bring in members, there is always the iron in the hat.

The motor shop I had check out the original motor for my hammer told me that if I ever replaced it with a modern motor I should go 1.5 times the original PH as the Massively Large old motor had a heck of a lot more moment arm to use than a modern compact motor

Good to know. My hammer is geared pretty slow, around 150BPM so it doesn't hit as hard as one running the  designed speed.

Thanks,

Frosty The Lucky.