I Forge Iron

First Rams Head cane topper

Well guys I got some time in this morning at the forge. Here is the fruit of my labours, my first ever Rams Head cane topper. This little beauty took me about 2 hours to make seeing as it was my first and I was being very cautious so as not to burn the horns off and make it a unicorn. It was also my first time ever twisting any metal it didn't come out so well but Iv learnt a lot about it in just this one session.

13100009.jpg

13100014.jpg

13100010.jpg

13100011.jpg

13100012.jpg

What do you guys think of my first attempt? Comments welcome.

Greetings Razz,

Very nice..   Much better than my first one...   Great weld and the neck arch is super...   Next time try twisting the horns in opposite directions .  Keep up the great work..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Lovely!!  Love the neck and the little detail between the horns.  Really nice job.  Looks like a very nice cane someone is going to cherish for a long time.  I have one question though at what point did you punch the eyes as they are the only flat part of the whole composition.  Seems like they might have gotten squashed at some point in the forging.  Maybe you just need a deeper impression/eye punch.  But really I am blown away.  Hopefully when I get a chance to make some of my firsts for animal heads they come out as nice as your first one. :D

I did do the fold and weld method yes, I used beach sand as flux which is actually quite nice to use. The eyes I used the only available punch at the time which was very small and not suited to the job. I am in the process of making a punch specifically for the task of making eyes. Base is not hollow but as you can see I have left more than enough to play with. I will probably end up putting this back in the forge and making the base hollow as you suggest so as to affix it much like an arrohead/spearhead. Or I am also considering using the burn in tang method. Which would you recommend? Thanks for all the comments guys.