I Forge Iron

The clear spaces having this bonnet directing the air and connecting the valving top to the crankcase is one reason why they are quieter than the inslides hammer especially when they are in "hold up"position, the 1cwt massey in slides especially emits a high pitch screetch when it is in "hold up",(ie single blow mode holding the ram at the top of the stroke).

John N I notice when ever I have to pull any of our hammers apart that they are all stamped with their part No on all components, often along with an identifying stamp which seems to me to be a stamp that the fitter building it may have added.  Would that indicate that Masseys were built essentially by one fitter or one team of fittters per each hammer who would see it throught from a pile of castings forgings etc to test running the finished hammer or were they built more along the lines of a Ford Motor car, as in one bloke only does one part of the assembly then it goes to another tradesman who does the next stage etc, in a assembly line setup.

Thanks Phil. I looked at the cross sectional view again and I am still wondering how the bottom exhaust is routed so that it can be throttled for reciprocation. Maybe only the top is throttled, and the bottom just dumps into the crankcase. Some Turkish hammers only throttle the top circuit. Nazel-Beche hammers throttle top and bottom.

In any case I must agree with you about castings as works of art. The cross sectional views of the pistons show weight control measures were elaborate.

On the Turkish hammers the bottom circuit doesn't dump/exhaust. The air keeps moving back and forth, and the replenishment occurs at the pump piston's air access location.

Hi Guys
I've just embedded a youtube video of the 40cwt clear space forging/punching some ring blanks in the steam hammer thread, hey I may as well put it here too,Done, that's easier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FcZ3GuvsJ0&feature=youtu.be

Note that the hammer driver drops the hammer into single blow hold down (grip) to hold the job while the manipulator gets another grip as they are rolling the punch out.
Immediately before the hammer goes back into drive, you can hear a definite choofff of air as the hammer dumps excess air before it returns to automatic drive mode and they start forging again.  These guys are driving the hammer without the stop in (the stop is to prevent the hammer from going into single blow from automatic (drive)) this is so they have a fluid change from drive to single blow in order to grip the job as you can see them doing here.
If you watch the hammer driver at about 41 seconds you can see him with his left hand pull the stop out of the hammer and flick it over to the back, while holding the handle in drive up with his right hand, you should also be able to hear the chooof of air at about 56 seconds.
When he goes back into drive to knock the punch into the other side of the job, I feel that the driver would have dropped the stop back into place, to stop the handle going back to single blow again.

Ok another one.

This is today in our workshop, its to show how by driving the hammer in drive and still driving it much like you would a steam hammer, Pete our Friday guy can get a short dead blow from the 5cwt clear space.  The reason why we want a short dead blow in this instance is because if you have a long stringy blow it will tend to spin the ring on the podger, making it very hard to forge as you are not able to define where the next hammer blow is to fall.  You can see that he is pushing the handle forwards as the hammer die just leaves the job to come up and lets the handle off as it starts its downward movement ready for the next blow, sort of like when you were a kid and someone played ready,,,, steady,,,,,, stop!!!!!.  He is basically setting the valves in the hammer to do the opposite of what you would normally want them to do, at the same stages in each stroke of the hammer,  ie normally you don't want a dead choking blow and you don't normally want the hammer to only lift 1 1/2 inches between blows, but it is usefull if you can make the hammer do this on demand, hence driving in this fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYrVKmJzZbo&feature=youtu.be

I'd like to offer up this one for discussion, Grants modifications allowed control for a single operator. I have fiddled with the link between the sword and the motion valve basically creating a bypass. This allows for increased throttle without cycling which was not as apparent in this video but could be capitalized on in a air hammer with the steam hammer valving. It is a bit different than my 200 Chambersburg set up that has the foot control linked to the sword/motion valve, which at a certain point of throttle it will start to cycle. Grant also has a secondary air line that allows more control of the throttle, both are great engineering features that are worth pointing out.

I couldn't open the link danger?

I am not sure if the beche hammers fill up with water, since they have a top exhaust opening (?), but I know a Pilkington (alldays) hammer that is outside in an area smack bang between the two wettest parts of the country (both towns vie for the "golden gumboot" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gumboot- just to show how wet it is)

I had the diesel fitter mate of mine, who works next to it put a cap over the exhaust, but I am worried it might be full of water, any ideas on the best (stealth) way of draining it???

btw- I am not allowed to be showing interest in it apparently :ph34r:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41924895@N07/sets/72157636834205464/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41924895@N07/sets/72157636834205464/

John, the pivot for the sword has a nut on the end which I simply used a wench to add a second lever much like Grants handle. What this does is take the sword out of use and allows for positioning the motion valve directly. At a high level of throttle I can mash the ram down without cycling, kinda helpful for a full power one hit. 

Wood, I couldn't embed the video but it is Grants little steam hammer video on youtube. These modification are very inventive and imo are the best I've seen for control and power.

The Masseys were built in batches of 4 or more.

Each part for the hammer had the hammers serial number stamped on it so they didn't get muddled up ! Whilst each part is to a drawing there is a lot of fitting work in building a hammer. Bearings scraped to cranks, rams fitted to stuffing boxes, slide blocks bedded into their slots with blue, taper pins drilled on assembly etc.

The parts would make their way through the factory, and then be built up by a fitter or two working together, then onto the test floor for running for a few days, velocity tests etc. Everything for every hammer recorded in a folder.

I still don't quite see how Grants secondary air modification actually works!?!

I am guessing the sword mechanism of which you speak on yours and Grants hammers were thusly configured?: valve steam hammer'' target='_blank'>valve steam hammer>valve steam hammer

not quite like the attached sword al la Ken Zitur hammers?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41924895@N07/sets/72157636847544854/

• 11 months later...