I Forge Iron

Bowie's Hammer-in in Knoxville, Tn.

Bowie's Hammer-in in Knoxville

Ron "Bowie" Claiborne's Hammer-in will be October 11, 12, 13th. The address is 2918 Ellistown Road, Knoxville, Tennessee.

I don't know about any of the other demonstrators but I am first on Friday starting at 8:00 until 10:00. I will be demonstrating how I make a Rail Road Spike Knife. I have won the "Best Rail Road Spike Knife" contest at the Batson Blade Symposium in 2012 and 2013. The knives are different from the typical RR Spike knife and I have some informative processes that I use. The processes are applicable to knifemaking even when not using RR Spikes.

Come and have a good time and maybe learn something.

post-6890-0-62403600-1380713375_thumb.jp

You guys are killing me. <sniff> I'd love to go if for no other reason than to say hi to Ron. I haven't read anything from him in years.

Please tell him Frosty says hi for me. And take pictures!

Frosty The Lucky.

I just got off the phone with Ron "Bowie" Claiborne regarding this weekend's Hammer-in, October 11, 12, 13, 2013.

Wayne Coe "How I Forge a Rail Road Spike Knife".
Beyond that I don't know dates and times but I expect that the demonstrators will include:
Alex Daniel will do a wrapped handle
Lynn Landrum
Jim Batson
Bill Wiggins making a Damascus billet including Stainless Steel
Richard Williams

Jimmy Hyde forging cable into a billet then forging a knife from the billet.

Alan Longmire posted this on the www.BladesmithsForum.com :
Jesus, myself, and Dennis will be setting up the smelter and chopping charcoal Friday, and running it Saturday.  Everyone is welcome to help with charcoal-chopping!  The ore we are going to use is from one of the orebanks that supplied Pigeon Forge.  Yep, it was a real forge long before it became the premier tourist trap of the Smokies.