I Forge Iron

PTO shaft material

I helped one of the older members here (irnsrgn aka Jr Strasil) to make a hammer out of 1.25" PTO shaft that he told me was 1045. I'm not sure what it specifically came off of but guessing it was old as well ;) It sure made a nice hammer! IIRC he made all of his hammers from similar shafting...

Medium carbon. It will work for a punch, works especially well for drifts, tongs, hammers, axes...
Bottom tools, top tools...
Generally good stuff, just don't cool a tool in your slack tub if you let it get red hot.
By the way, it's a great way to build your hammering arm, it isn't the hardest steel to move, but it certainly isn't the easiest

"  This is a newer style. Probably really malleable. Didn't get a chance to work on the forge this weekend, but Im gonna play with the material and see..."

newer style meaning it is metric shafting ?  Standard PTO is square or rectangular for the large part ( this is US I'm speaking of ).

I'm in the u.s. too. But this is like triangular with rounded 'angles ', and pretty meaty. I got a section to near-white hot, high yellow, and beat it with a 3lb hammer for bout 30 minutes. It really didn't want to move, even after bout 5-6 heats... I'll come back to it another day.

The particular tractor it was off of was an 80's tw-25 Ford. It's a beast.

• 10 months later...