I Forge Iron

Anyone know what's up with this anvil?

Looks like a peter wright, they were pretty bad for developing sway were they not? I understand that's why they started making the face ever so slightly curved. To reduce the sway over time.

This was because they used "solid wrought" which was a tad softer than the "best scrap" that everyone else used, as the scrap inevitably contained a bit of steel too.

As for the anvil, if it's a good price, go for it. If it's expensive then don't bother. It will give many years of service as is!

Andy

When an anvil's face rolls and sways like the surface of the ocean, you have a problem.  A bit of dip, though, isn't an issue.  You have plenty of flat surface to forge one, and the swayback can help you in a lot of operations.  The key is that everything is still on the same plane.

The rivet divots in the cutting table?  No big deal.  I cannot tell you the last time I actually used the cutting table for anything other than a place to set a tool.   I certainly wouldn't think to cut on one!

My only worry about that anvil is that someone might have ground it down.  A simple bearing test will show if it's still a solid face, though.  The squareness of the corners aren't a bad thing, but when combined with the swoop of the face....  it would behoove you to check the hardness of the face.

I love the cutting table on my foster, it is beat to pieces but the far side still has a true and sharp edge so I use it all the time as a fuller, I just use a smaller hammer and take more heats to keep from busting it up. It looks like the cutting table on this anvil still has good edges, and the rivet divets could be a god send!