I Forge Iron

small sledgehammer head ?

ferretman

*IF* you have the anvil for it; 8# is about right for good strikers.

I've seen many a hammer head of various sizes redone this way; as mentioned you just need to re-heat treat afterwards.

The slickest transformation I've seen was at a SWABA meeting when a smith borrowed the forge and hydraulic press to rework a 4# sledge head, one heat and the press made a nice curved peen end from the squish reducing grinding time immensely!

not sure if i will ever use a hammer of this weight but just thought it would be fun to see if it could it be done by myself and a friend without the use of a power hammer it looks like quite a challenge ,but all advice will be taken on board cheers to you all

If you have a striker swinging a 8# hammer you can use tongs in one hand and a top tool in the other and get more control. If you have an experienced striker you would not want him moving around to use the peen to accomplish the same thing, I bought a 6.6# straight and cross peen sledge I can not recall ever using the peen side. Just don't over think it.

Actually that is a mid-sized sledge, a bit heavy even for most striker aided work.  I think a 6 pounder would be ideal for my shop... even when I have a striker, which is rare.  

Lol, I use a 10lb sledge.  And I'm on the look out for something bigger. :o   Really, I don't have any power equipment either.  I welded a pair of old vice grips making a hardy tool to hold my billets down while I smash the steel.  Of course that means welding a handle on. B)

Rules of life #3: Don't force it, get a bigger hammer. ^_^