I Forge Iron

Oil for hand crank blower

jimbob

• 3 months later...

As a general rule I would not recommend modern detergent engine oil for lubricating gearboxes and bearings. (yes I am aware that some truck transmissions recommend 50 wt engine oil)

The engine oil has additives that can cause corrosion and other similar problems. The detergent is a prime culprit

The modern engine oil is designed to keep foreign matter in suspension. This is not what wanted for gearboxes and bearings

It would be better to use a non-detergent oil or a gear oil. Wally World still carries a non detergent oil, I am not sure why..... I have some for gear box, bearings and hydrostatic drive purposes.

R Funk-As you said detergent oil is designed to keep foreign matter in suspension.

That is so these contaminants can be carried to a filter. On non filtered systems such as lawn mower type engines and air compressors you want the junk to settle out. I haven't bought anything new in many many many years but I know Briggs and Stratton used to specify non-detergent oil. Still run it in mine and that is probably why Wally World still carries it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys, I'm new here and to the hobby. I've been reading this thread and have a question for you. I recently got a Buffalo Forge hand crank blower and was wondering if I need to put oil in it and if so, where. It's in good condition and I don't want to mess it up if it needs oil. Any advice would be appriciated. Thanks - Jerry P.

Hey guys, I'm new here and to the hobby. I've been reading this thread and have a question for you. I recently got a Buffalo Forge hand crank blower and was wondering if I need to put oil in it and if so, where. It's in good condition and I don't want to mess it up if it needs oil. Any advice would be appriciated. Thanks - Jerry P.

First, Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Also, click on the "User CP" in the green bar at the top of the page and update your profile as to where you live.

As for your Buffalo Forge blower you should find a small cap on or near the top of the blower,these are usually spring loaded lids. Add you oil here!;) I use 30wt and ATF mixed half n half. use it in all 3 of my blowers.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

i know this is n old thread but i don't oil my blower at all, i just take it apart every now and then (when i rebuilt it from the broken siezed chuck of metal it was i replaced the rivits with bolts for easy disasembly) liberally coat everything in amsoil marine grease, cover the teeth on the gears, absolutely everything.