I Forge Iron

Pressure from a Screw Press

AndrewOC

Found this;

"Pressure from a Screw Press.- The pressure exerted by a screw press is dependant on the length of the lever attached to the screw, the pitch of the screw, and the force applied on the lever.

Thus,

circumference of swing X number of threads per inch X force = force or pressure exerted by the press.

Example,

A force of 100lb. acting on a lever 20in. long which is attached to a screw having a pitch 1/2in. exerts a pressure as follows:

3-1/7 X 20 X 2 X 100 = 12,560lb., or approximately 5-1/2 tons. "

So the challenge is on; those who have fly presses with catalog force ratings, compare this with the calculated version.

[i'm piking out, two presses with no details]

enjoy,

AndrewOC

post-8233-0-20450200-1379072401_thumb.pnpost-8233-0-10768500-1379072448_thumb.jp

I think your formula is wrong:

The length of your lever is 20" not 3.14 of a 20" radius.

I don't know the proper calculation but logic would dictate that it should be more like ( pounds of force ) / (Pi x dia of screw x TPI ) or something like that and of course the subtraction of some sort of energy coefficient plus you'd have to consider the speed of ram travel also.

I'm not trying to be a PITA but just pointing out that your formula seems WAY to simple.