I Forge Iron

pexto 981 stake plate

jimd ma

Oh boy not going to get rich on this! LOL. Thank you folks I appreciate the input!

You really should be able to get $150 for it though.  Some people need them and will pay, 25 bucks is below market value.  If I needed one I would pay that.  Not many people have the time or ability to root around the scrap yard looking for anything of value.  I did my share of that in years past and actually made a few bucks doing it.

I have to say that I paid towards the top end of the scale this year, when I finally found one. Unlike Thomas, I am not naturally lucky, so this was the first one in 15 years of looking that I had the cash for.  I ain't getting any younger looking for "deals".

Here in the "tool rich" eastern United States, I would have to say they about twice as rare as swage blocks or cones. I see one about every 5 years.

I went to school auctions in Columbus OH and they sold a lot of them mounted in workbenches from their shop programs they were shutting down back in the 90's.

Might see if any silversmithing programs near you which might have folks hankering for a stake plate and may even have a swageblock they don't need.

I got excited at first because the only price I could find was for a new plate and as stated above that one was $1300, and knowing I couldn't afford the stakes I thought I may be able to trade for a swage block. Wich I could put to use! But since I probably can't swing a trade I may just hold onto it. I will however check into some of the suggestions you folks provided! I really appreciate all your very knowledgeable information! Thank you very much!