I Forge Iron

Peter Wright Identification

I'm considering purchasing the Peter Wright anvil in the top of the picture. The only comparison I have is my own which is the one in the bottom of the picture. Top is 241 lb and bottom is 96 lb. There is a noticeable difference in shape. The heel on the 241 is shorter than the 96. There is a difference in shape in the waist area. I am also concerned with the face. It doesn't sit far above the table like my 96. Any help in explaining the difference is appreciated.

post-7946-0-99802400-1378599649_thumb.jp

The anvil on top is overall more robust, as one would expect of a 2 hundredweight anvil to be used in a large shop with strikers, etc.

The lower one is more gracile in form, and is meant to used by one smith on smaller work.

The face thickness, and face to table height may be the same, it just looks bigger on the smaller anvil proportionately.

In short, JUMP ON IT!

Jason, You many already know the heavier anvil in the top picture is an earlier PW with that straight forge line across the lower waist, that was normal in that time period. Being earlier, it will be a bit different shape than the one you already have. Is that a shadow across the heel creating the illusion it's shorter?

The fact that the numbers are that clear suggest that it was mostly indoors, probably better kept than many, but the face edge showing does look better than you might expect for an anvil that's had enough use to work the end of the horn down like it is.

The picture is not clear enough to blow up and see the edges clearly to be sure, but it does look possible the edges have been weld filled and even the face ground lower as you are concerned about.  It all depends on price, but maybe you can get some better pictures from the seller, or see it in person if you haven't yet.  Good luck!

That's the impression I had  based on what little information I had time to find earlier. I saw the anvil and took two pictures of it. One of each side. The face was in good condition and had nice edges. The only reason I'm looking for one is because the edges on my 96 aren't so great.The heel is that short. I don't have pictures of the face. I don't remember thinking that it looked as if it has been cut shorter when looking at position of the holes relative to the edge of the heel. I have full size pictures. I'm uncertain how to upload them at original size.The comparison pic I posted was originally 600kb and is now 55kb He's asking $600

I know the owner fairly well and in the past have made a few good deals with him. I Could probably get it for less than $600 but wouldn't feel bad about paying him $600 if that what it takes. It's difficult for me to tell if any rework has been done on the face. It does bother me that the face looks short in height.

20130907_100541.jpg20130907_100552.jpg

all of the original #250 PW's I see, the step down to  the cutting plate is 3/4" or a tiny bit less (all later models with the square tail and the horn not kicked up). This one looks lower than that.

The front corner on the orange side looks like it has been patched and the other side has some lines under the deck, its hard to tell but it looks like weld overlap to me.

In the added pics the front of the working face looks sharp where it ends at the cutting table, and I agree with you, the step down to the cutting table looks shorter than it would be originally.

It also looks like the anvil was sanded smooth all over. Wouldn't be surprising me if more work including welding up the edges was done, too, and when they were grinding the edges smooth they just kept going all over. Like Thomas says, do the ball bearing test to see if it's still got good rebound.

Regardless, bottom line: if you're happy with it, go for it an enjoy it!

My 250 lb PW originally had a 3/8 thick face, which had become chipped and collapsed over time to the point of being unusable. I replated it with a 3/4 piece of high carbon so it now sits much higher than most makes. If this anvil face is in good shape, a 3/8 plate should be fine for the average user (I'm assuming you won't do a large amount of heavy sledge work).

The reason I said that is mine is swayed in the middle from the day I bought it in the sixty's and I haven't worn much more off since then. We often worry too much about serviceable life. I have no idea how old mine is and really don't care Since I will never wear it out at my age of 69 years..

• 6 years later...