I Forge Iron

Wagon tongue vise value/info

philland

I was wondering if anyone could give me any info esp value of this wagon tongue vise. I am interested in possibly letting go for trade of an anvil upgrade with a friend but not sure of what price or trade value I should give it. Any info would be great, thanks.

post-25877-0-82950500-1376940281_thumb.j

post-25877-0-22934900-1376940002_thumb.j

I have seen a few historical photos of WW1 where that type of vise was bolted to the bumper of a truck. I wonder how many of them out there are as old as most people think?

Thats the thing, my google abilities are usually quite good, not alot of info out there.

I think most of them are much newer than the civil war because the jaws appear to be drop forged and not made from wrought iron.  Vices from the civil war period would have been wrought iron and forged by open die hammers and or mostly by hand there would have been a bunch of hand fitting and filing involved as well.  That being said these vises are fairly rare and can fetch up around $200 biased on what I have seen them sell for. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think most of them are much newer than the civil war because the jaws appear to be drop forged and not made from wrought iron.  Vices from the civil war period would have been wrought iron and forged by open die hammers and or mostly by hand there would have been a bunch of hand fitting and filing involved as well.  That being said these vises are fairly rare and can fetch up around $200 biased on what I have seen them sell for. 

thank you

Going to a SOFA meeting the "gang" stopped by a fleamarket along the way as was our custom and a friend of mine was about 1 booth in front of me and the fellow had a mint wagon tongue vise---my friend asked "How Much" and the fellow said US$20---the going rate for a regular postvise at that place and time....My frined, the dirty rat, bought it with alacrity and US currency...So far that's my lowest bought price for one.

I know a guy who uses one for demos. While it's not a solidly mounted as my post vise, it's a lot easier to transport. A wagon vise like that is on my "around to" list of things to locate at some point. Either if I spot one at a reasonable price, or if I locate a damaged post vise I can pick up cheap and convert to a similar purpose.