I Forge Iron

All Arizonans!

Dunno about Sedona,  but there is plenty of Black Sand in the Washes that I've seen.    Grab a big magnet and walk through them and you could probably collect a lot.

Don't know what you'd find in the way of Ore though.   Although some places more north, I've seen copper ore. Good Luck.

There is a fabulous blade smith by the name of Ray Rybar who lives in Camp Verde. He makes a lot of his own metal for his knifes. He gathers a lot of it from the area around there. If you can get a hold of him he will be your best bet on sources around there. If you are lucky enough to get a invite to his shop you will be in for a real treat. He has several old mechanical hammers all set up for different functions of blade work. He also has a metallurgical lab which is equally impressive.

Hey guys, I know it says all Arizonans, but I couldn't help but join in on this conversation so, anyway greetings from Alaska. I have already talked to you, Harold, about the anvil thing and I decided to go ahead and do it. Anyway, I'll be moving to Arizona soon and was wondering if there's any good blacksmiths in Glendale or Peoria? Also, Harold I went to a knife shop out in Seward which is about 120 -150 miles out of Anchorage and he was making knives out of 50 cal gun barrels and even a friggin' cannon! A small aircraft cannon that is, but the place was pretty xxxx rural, I mean not another house, farm, or barn for at least 3 miles. But, anyway yeah, Harold and all the rest of Arizona guys, just wanted to introduce myself.

all I gotta say man drink plenty of water when you come to town, or you will die even more so during the summer! with that kind of climate change its gonna be nasty for a few weeks to a couple months getting used to the heat.

The red sandstone around Sedona and other places around the US and Canada is the Sundance Sea formation formed during the Sundance Sea's last intrusion into central Us Canada from the Arctic south during the late Jurassic. Lots of good fossil hunting but I don't  know about iron formations though you are right, it's red because of iron oxide.

Take a magnet in a plastic bag to sand and soils to collect what's available.

Eric: When are you guys moving? Rob is right, the desert and high desert is just as dangerous to unprepared people as winter Alaska take such warnings seriously.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey guys, I know it says all Arizonans, but I couldn't help but join in on this conversation so, anyway greetings from Alaska. I have already talked to you, Harold, about the anvil thing and I decided to go ahead and do it. Anyway, I'll be moving to Arizona soon and was wondering if there's any good blacksmiths in Glendale or Peoria? Also, Harold I went to a knife shop out in Seward which is about 120 -150 miles out of Anchorage and he was making knives out of 50 cal gun barrels and even a friggin' cannon! A small aircraft cannon that is, but the place was pretty damn rural, I mean not another house, farm, or barn for at least 3 miles. But, anyway yeah, Harold and all the rest of Arizona guys, just wanted to introduce myself.

Manleyiron, Peter Sevins has his shop on the edge of Peoria. He is a great smith! The shop is known as the blacksmiths zoo. This is because there are a total of 4 smiths who work there. All the shops are open
in a chain link fence with corrugated roofs. Maurice Hamburger, Len Ledet, and another farrier are the
other smiths. On Fridays a lot of the Phoenix smiths will meet there for lunch. Our AABA blacksmiths
shop is in Glendale at Sahuaro Ranch, were we have 4 forging stations and a Giant Hammer. It is open
for use 1 or 2 Saturdays a month for members. The whole valley is scattered with smiths. Pieh Tool just
opened a new shop in Cave Creek. Welcome to Az hope to meet you in person! I believe I have met the blade smith you are talking about out side of Seward. Did he take you out back and show his shop and that sweet Chambersburg utility he has under the tarp?

Sweet thanks for the warm welcome guys and frosty ill be in Arizona in about 2 months maybe more. Harold I would love to meet you in person and see your shop and even learn a few more things that's the good thing about black smithing is you never run out of things to learn. Oh and Harold I don't know what a chambersburg utility is but his shop was pretty confined he had a 250 maybe 300 lbs trenton and a pink power hammer pretty awesome use of space though.