I Forge Iron

Tree Fell on his car Drop point.

jmccustomknives

Here's that little drop point where the scales came from a tree (dead pecan) that fell on the customers car.  Frosty, the marine epoxy I had was very similar to the formula you gave.  I'll be sure to share with my father in-law as the marine stuff was $60 and be sure to use it myself.  The drop point was forged from files and saw plate.

The second knife is a cable Bowie with Zebra wood handle.  The guard and pommel was forgeg from a bronze bearing retainer.  I can say it still needs a little cleaning up but I'm not happy with the handle.  It's too plain.002-7.jpgb9f84714-d51c-4d1e-bfcf-47b40ce7e05b.jpg

Cool story with the pecan handle.

I think for any of us, long after we are gone the stories that get passed down about what we've made to live on is one of the greatest honors.  On day this guy can tell the story to his grandkids of driving in a storm and having a tree blown down on his car totalling it out.  Then taking a piece to a crazy transplanted Texan who made knives.

Glad the epoxy xylene trick worked for you, I knew it's soak al the way through 3/4" plywood from one side but that's not made from hardwood so . . .

Great story about the tree killing the car, glad nobody was hurt. . . Were they?

WE can get severe winds here, not all the time but often enough to have a reputation. 70+mph for a week is just another week in the valley. I'm thinking it was 05 and we got a pretty hard blow, gusts in excess of 100mph. does get noted, even makes the papers. So, I get up to walk the dog and he goes nuts when I open the front door but it's dark and I can't see anything so I turn on the outside flood for a gander. On our property you just NEVER saunter out if the dogs are raising a fuss, moose are common and have been know to scratch their butts on the porch posts.

Anyway, I flip the switch for the floods and when I look back out the door it's still dark. NOW my curiosity is piqued and when I focused on the darkness itself it resolved itself into spruce brows. See attached pic.

Yeah, it got both our rigs, the Bronco II and the Saturn. Made the news but got the insurance CO hopping, homeowners just didn't want to pay off on two cars but we have THAT rider. <grin> Missed the upper deck by maybe 6'. We didn't keep any of it to make something cool from though.

Frosty The Lucky.

post-975-0-68243800-1375060602_thumb.jpg

Frosty, that's a bad way to start a day. :(

Yeah, I've had days start better but it was almost worth it to hear the foreman's response when I told him I wouldn't be in. You could tell he didn't really believe me but by the next morning most of the guys had seen the pics on the evening news and we were the talk of that morning's dispatch.  Somebody even brought donuts. We amuse so easily sometimes. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty you are not related to Durkon are you he seems to have a phobia about trees....(and it seems you *should*)

I don't know. Heck, I don't talk to most of my relatives so maybe. Who's Durkon?

While not a phobia I will admit I haven't fired up a chainsaw in a looooong time.

Frosty The Lucky.