I Forge Iron

Paid to do a demo, how much to charge?They accepted my price

Thank you all for your suggestions on how to price this demo. They accepted my offer! I will be the paid blacksmith at the Whitetail Ski Resort's Outdoor Festival on Oct. 22nd and 23.

Pam

Hi all! Most of you know me as alchemyknife or Pam in Anvilfire Chat. 8)

I got a call yesterday from the local ski resort out here about blacksmithing for their Outdoor Festival. Seems they'd been looking for a blacksmith for the festival for years, but hadn't found one until they read an article about me in the local paper. :D

They want to PAY me to demonstrate! I have very little idea what to charge. (Didn't tell them that though.)

The festival is 2 days, 10am to 5pm each day. I need suggestions on 1) what to charge, and 2) how often to demonstrate.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Pam

Pam,at least lodging, meals, $.30 a mile both ways, $100 a day plus any thing you sell is yours, for a place to start. Do simple straight forward things to keep their attention span, and have a display of your work handy along with cards and of course a pad to take down commisions on. Remember to get at least half up front on commissions, and give yourself more than enough time for delivery date. Start High and let them fenangle you down a bit, it makes them feel good and like they got a bargain.

Everything Irnsgn says but I'd go more on mileage due to gas prices ($.50/mile?) and I'd make sure to take plenty of pre-made products. This type of crowd will probably be impulse buyers so they'll likely never follow up if you don't get the sale right then.

I personally donate what I make during demos to the place where I am working - they can either use it or have an auction. I used to give away everything I made that day to the public but that can cause a couple of problems - one is that they figure the labor is cheap and the end product worth nothing; the other is that some little kid won't get his knick-knack and start complaining.

How much you demo is up to you - but it's very helpful to have a second person to run errands and spell you if need be. Re the stated times, I personally would arrive at 9 and be working by 10, then break for lunch at noon but eat there at the demo site so I can continue to talk to folks, then finish the meal and go until 5. Also bear in mind that you'll kill 2-4 hours just loading and unloading.

Not being as young as I once was I really try to do my loading and driving the *previous* night (and unloading as well if it's a secure site) So I can start the day with a good breakfast and then get onto the demo.

Loading, driving, unloading, Demo, loading, driving, unloading (my previous shop was in an area that was *not* secure so everything had to be locked in the shop!) Gets to be too much like work!

Thomas

You may want ot check to see if the Festival has insurance and if you are specifically covered under that policy. If not, ask to be included. This is in addition to any insurance that you may have.

Also look into the business and tax situation. Some festivals have a blanket business tax account that covers all vendors, others have each vendor take out a business license to operate legally. Taxes can either be collected and turned over the the festival for payment to the Feds, State, County, City, and who ever else wants to share in your wealth and the fruits of your labors, or you may have to pay the taxes directly to the appropraite agency. Agencys do exchange information so if you pay to the county, be sure to also pay to the city etc, if applicable.

Money is a lot easier to take in $5's, $10's, $20's than any amount of loose change, or making change. Just take your price, add the tax, then round to the nearest bill size. Just be sure that you gain more than you loose in rounding.

DO NOT take checks. Instead, give the stuff away for free, it will be less of a hassel, and the end result is the same - your out the money.

Mark each and every item with a price. Usually a paper tag on a string or masking tape folded around the item. Use manilla (natural color) for some things, but also use bright yellow, red, and bright green. They WILL draw attention. Just don't over do the colors. Colors can also be used to indicate your ability (margin) to haggle. Green for instance is buy 3 and get a 4th at $5 off or whatever.

Nolano,

I get to demo every weekend during the summer (90% kids).

Unfortunately just as an unpaid volunteer.

Still I have a blast! And I'll tell you that seeing the look in some of these kid's eyes, makes it so much better.

If you ever get out toward Gettysburg PA during the summer give me a call...I'll let you demo, and I'll watch. :)

Pam

Pam you will do great,,,I do small items and at times will give one away to a young person that shows al ot of interest....At that times the crowd usually drifts away and i rest until they start to gather again,,,If folks are not stopping just starting a new piece is like a magnet. If it was every day all week long I would schedule times for demos on a visible white board. But for the threee day thing I just work when It seems right...I have another person around for lunch time ,,,and I go away from booth for that. Have fun and let us know how it went.

Guys,

Doing the demo doesn't bother me. I demo for an average of almost 400 people each and every weekend.

It's the concept of someone asking how much I charge to do a demo that has me perplexed. I demo at the State Park for free (and yes I know they should be paying me).

I've given it alot of thought and I'm telling them that for the weekend (I'd need to be there and set up by 8am and can't pack up until after 5pm) and a 20 minute to half an hour (or more) demo every hour will cost them $500 for the weekend. That gives me a bit of room to negotiate if necessary.

Ok thoughts on the price? It covers all expenses plus some.

Pam

• 2 weeks later...

Way to go Pam! Expenses and a bit extra you say?
One thing to keep in mind when figuring out what to charge for demos, work, etc. You are not there to subsidize someones entertainment or hobby. They are there to subsidize yours...........