I Forge Iron

Banding strap

lab

• 3 weeks later...

it ranges from quite mild to medium to higher carbon DEPENDING. 

Do a quench and break test if you are trying to keep the C levels up in a billet.  (or use quite high C steel in greater proportions to it.)

I like to use the higher C banding  along with band saw blade to start a billet with 20-25 layers the first weld.

Never assume that there is only 1 alloy used for *anything*.  I've even run into a low carbon leaf spring before! (Strain hardening but would not quench harden even in water)

it ranges from quite mild to medium to higher carbon DEPENDING. 

Do a quench and break test if you are trying to keep the C levels up in a billet.  (or use quite high C steel in greater proportions to it.)

I like to use the higher C banding  along with band saw blade to start a billet with 20-25 layers the first weld.

Never assume that there is only 1 alloy used for *anything*.  I've even run into a low carbon leaf spring before! (Strain hardening but would not quench harden even in water)

I'll agree, it's all over the place.  The stuff I've gotten would get stiff in a water quench but would still bend.  I'd tend to think the stuff I was using was somewhere in the .25%C range.  It did ok for making Damascus with the band saw blades, but the etch didn't turn out real good.

can ya'll please tell me what steel banding strap is. Thanks

Just in case you are asking in order to identify it and find it, and not asking what it is made of, ( the question as asked could go either way)  Its the binding they use for holding boxes, etc on the shipping pallets and for pipe bundles to keep them together so they can be handled as one unit rather than separate pieces, for easier handling and  most the time are a one use deal, so no one minds giving it to us when we ask for it.

I have been collecting the 1.25"  (1/32" thick) wide banding that holds a houses worth of roof trusses. I am working in a neighborhood that is being newly built, so in a week, 2-3 large houses are going up, and they discard all of the banding.

I have spark tested it, and it doesn't spark like mild steel, but more of a medium in my opinion. I have also attempted to harden it. It will actually bend, but snap after around 90 degrees. I am currently combining this stuff with some 15N20 and could have an example in the future.