I Forge Iron

tire hammer alignment jig

It’s been years since I bought the first part, but I’m finally getting near the end of my tire hammer build. I thought I had found a guy to loan me the jig that aligns the hammer and anvil, but that fell through. Can someone here help me find one? I built my hammer to the dimensions in Clay Spencer’s plans for the Ray Clontz hammer.

Thanks.

Jeff

What shape are the anvil and hammer? What's their OD? I can think of several methods but I need to know what you're working with to make suggestions. Pics would help, something for scale is helpful as well.

Frosty The Lucky.

My 'number of posts', this being the 3rd, belies the time I've spent here. I appreciate the engagement of folks like you, Frosty, but what I'm looking for is part number 228, hammer align jig, page 30 of Clay's plans. It holds the hammer and anvil 10" apart, die holes aligned, and faces within .010" in plane. All this for welding the hammer guide into final position. I've been a toolmaker, so I'm not opposed to finding a different way, but I'd rather borrow one and save the time. 

Jeff

Most shops that are equipped with the tools to make a power hammer and that need a power hammer have a reasonable scrap pile. The hammer alignment jig is just a small piece of any type of tubing welded to two plates that have bolt holes that correspond with the holes in the head and anvil. You could fabricate a good alignment jig in 30 minutes I'm guessing. I built my hammer in one of the workshops so we just used Clay's jigs.

• 2 weeks later...

I made my own fixture. It consists of a piece of pipe faced off to correct length. I used a micrometer for this. I then clamped and welded the die plates to the pipe, that were faced of in a mill. It worked just fine if you have access to some machine tools. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I no longer need to borrow the jig, because I welded one up per the plans when IFI went down. Now I have to find a way to get the ends parallel. I'll cut it up after I've used it, because I want the die plates that are welded to the pipe. That's part of the reason I wanted to borrow the jig.

Jeff