I Forge Iron

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knew any professional or semi-pro blacksmiths in Kent?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of doing a couple photographic calendars for 2014, one of which being "The Blacksmiths of Kent". Obviously that means I need 12 willing blacksmiths.

The idea is that for every month there'd be a nice picture of the smith in action/part of the smithy/some of their work/whatever, with their contact details, location and all relevant information listed. It's basically free advertising.

My gain out of this is I get to meet a bunch of blacksmiths, see their workshops and hopefully make a few quid from selling some calendars. Could be fun...

Going to make a beefcake version Kurgan? I'm thinking there's a market for sweat covered burly men wearing only a little leather at an anvil and roaring fire, hammer and tongs of course, or maybe pincers. Make that imaginative and exotic pincers.

I'm sure there's a market, any biker chick bars in Kent?

Frosty The Lucky.

all funning aside I don't know why a blacksmith calendar wouldn't sell, it may be a small market but there are folk out there who like a rougher, industrial motif. So it's a niche market, lots f successful folk fill niche markets.

Heck, shoot some lady smiths too. That would sell, I know a few lady smiths and would love a calendar.

Frosty The Lucky.

good idea kurgan, ive always thought the whole craft is very photogenic - you could make something really fascinating. as for more women on calenders, well - i think men is the way to go!! we can safely say the balance in that dept needs a little redressing! :)

Said firmly tounge in cheek "Women wear fake hair,nails,eyelashes,coloured contacts,lipstick,mascara,rouge they often have or want fake breasts and backsides, they inject botox , yet want a REAL man!"  I think a blacksith calendar may be just what the Doctor ordered!

Good luck with it!

Ian

Cheers Basher, I've looked through the BABA site a few times for smiths in Kent, I think it's a bit out of date as it lists some guys as being in Kent but then when you go to their sites they're in another county all together! It lists you as being in Kent, nudge nudge wink wink...

Cheers Beth. Originally the idea was to do a "Amazing Workshop" one not exclusive to blacksmiths but then I thought why not do a range. I'd like to do an "Independent Woodyard and Coppicers" one too. The whole idea is to promote independent businesses/crafts.

There's a woodsman/coppicer/timber framer down the road from me who's been pretty generous to me and let me buy his "junk" to help clear his yard. (To him it might be junk but to me it's incredibly useful!!!) Huge square chunks of oak beam: £1. (Made an anvil stand out of some of that). Six foot lengths of oak slabs: £1. (Clad my smithy out of that). Six foot slabs of yew: £1. Be nice to spread the word about these kinda guys...make the public realize there's something beyond B&Q.