I Forge Iron

How fast for a camel back

Im repowering a mid sized camel back drill press. I was setup for 3 phase so I setup the single phase motor at the same rpm and its much to fast. Can anyone give me an idea how fast the pulley shaft should spin?

thanks

marcus

Some people add another motor as an idler, then you can gear the speeds down. Move your motor to the side (add a bracket), mount an old motor in the original motor position, connect motor to idler, idler to drill press. Speeds can go up or down whichever way you connect the belts.

Just another way of skinnin' the kat!! :) :)

Neil

Does the drill press have four step pulleys to adjust the spindle speed, like an old South Bend lathe? If so, I would set up the driver so the final spindle was turning about 60 rpm for large bits, up to 220 or so for small bits. The 'machinerys handbook' has formulii  for driving and driven pulley diameters.

Thanks, Dave. I'm printing that out to hang on my wall. I would like to state as an addendum, that an old drill press should reduce those speeds by 25% or so, because of babbit bearings chatter more than milling machine bearings. I've been machining with old equipment since 1985, what works for me, is, if the chips start turning blue right off the drill bit, slow it down until they turn brown, then turn blue when they hit the air.