I Forge Iron

Interesting hammer

Joel OF

My old 1894 tool catalog shows four sizes of that style and calls them "raising hammers."

"Manning Maxwell and Moore"

Sayings and Cornpone

"Gossip is the warp and weft from which the frame of the earth is made."

Charlotte Wilcoxen, Southern gentlewoman

My old 1894 tool catalog shows four sizes of that style and calls them "raising hammers."

"Manning Maxwell and Moore"

The handle is quite long so my guess is it's intended to be used 2 handed when used a raising hammer. I say that because whenever I see videos of people raising it's typically around chest height and I think you'd wear your forearm out pretty quick using this one handed.

By the by, does anyone know of any fire bowl making videos lurking about on the internet?

Yeah cheers, read that a few times before but always good to be reminded of it.

That reminds me, whilst we're on the subject of raising, check out these cool bench stakes/anvils...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQoiVnYYnjs&list=FLvIcTMXYVztEQpEgZTxzdOw&index=1

Skip forward to 5:22, I don't know how to do the time link thing.

They're very similar to Eric's but have a nice curve too.

This is obviously an old documentary but still useful and I know the processes apply to steel even though this is silver. Everyone in Britain still talks exactly like the narrator...everyone.