I Forge Iron

video of 1500 ton press at Eveleigh

AndrewOC

That is a Davey Hydraulic press. The pumps were steam driven but the working fl.uid is Hydraulic, often water. We had a 1300 ton BLH from 1913 much like that at VOGT, and several Erie's like that at Sypris (The old Tube Turns) both in Louisville Ky USA.

These old 4 post presses were once very common in big forge shops, less so now as they are very old hydraulic technology and usually leak like sieves.

We were still forging helicopter buskets in our 1500 ton at Sypris in 2005, may still be.

inspirational.

the funny thing is, where I served my apprenticeship, and other workshops since, if you switch the radio to classical music, you are signing your own death warrant! ( I know from experience- I love classical music)

I am sure the soundtrack to this would have been entirely different had it been chosen by the workers.... maybe some cold chisel, and some farnsy......

I drive locomotives in cairns now, and one of my fellow drivers (now 73) worked at Eveleigh, in the lab/testing facility, maybe in the 60s? I will ask him tonight.

when I said it was now a museum, he was delighted and surprised.

I visited last year. Amazing facility you guys have there and what history, built in the 1850's I believe?

Same thing in Seattle, software drones employed in cool old arty buildings that used to have industry in them.