I Forge Iron

Had time to forge this morning

I finally got around to making a couple tools I've been needing.  The first was a laddle or dipper for the quench tank.  I'd been thinking about making a basket of sorts, but then thought of using the top of the scuba tank with a piece of 3/8" sq rolled into a circle after passing it thru the hole.  I decided not to be as boring as usual and spend a few minutes making the handle a little decorative.

post-34362-0-51180100-1372451268_thumb.jpost-34362-0-67602300-1372451296_thumb.jpost-34362-0-97848900-1372451328_thumb.j

Then I made a hardy fuller from a jack hammer bit and this cultivator for gardening.  Next time working with these bits I'm going to get one of my teenagers to give me a hand as a striker, pita doing it solo. 

post-34362-0-95682800-1372451708_thumb.j

post-34362-0-00359500-1372451735_thumb.j

I have a metal gallon paint can for knives and move the blade as you describe, but RR spikes turned into bottle openers, gardening tools or other stuff that which I want the darkened finish & rust protection I use this. 

Dcraven I like the basket for your oil quenching tub nice job

I never just drop metal into my quench tank!  To quench effectively the metal needs to be moved in a fast figure eight pattern!  

I have never seen any scientific report or mention in books about heat treating metal that to a figure 8 pattern movement was needed to quench  effectively.   

Thank Francis.  Maybe I should've though...I was experimenting with some brake drum springs for a hold down tool and realized they'd become normalized so I heated to reddish orange, quenched and the dropped them in the tank.  One of them came out straight, the other was curved big time.  Bigfootnampa's advice seems like good advice for something that could curve.  I've usually done for blades straight back'n forth, I know to not go side to side.

I got my 13 yo son out this weekend to strike for me for the first time last Saturday.  We had a great time and made a much needed hot cut from a jack hammer bit.  It incorporates Brian Brazeal's innovative ideas of a tapered fit vs. shoulders and a curved cutting edge.  Works great so far!

post-34362-0-52353000-1372800634_thumb.jpost-34362-0-33106500-1372800640_thumb.jpost-34362-0-06192900-1372800644_thumb.j

Later my son forged a fire rake with my supervision and has been hanging out more with me in the garage than upstairs on the computer or watching TV.  A very good weekend indeed!

Thomas - yes, metal is good and I like being able to quickly shut the lid.  My slack tub full of water is plastic and near the forge.  At least on one occasion a hot coal and been knocked into it, but worst case would be needing a new bucket.

Thank Ian!  He & my 16 yo daughter are somewhat interested in my antics in the garage, smithing, welding and working on the old truck that's in the background so they're pretty responsive to helping out.  Indirectly maybe I do bribe them, help me then I'll help you, otherwise there's convenient excuses why I can't when they need something.

I do have to bribe my 6 yo son, 50 cents or a dollar to sweep the garage floor or driveway.  It's more about teaching him to help out vs. it really needing to be done.

Dan

dcraven wrote "I was experimenting with some brake drum springs for a hold down tool and realized they'd become normalized so I heated to reddish orange, quenched and the dropped them in the tank.  One of them came out straight, the other was curved big time."

some times with springs it helps to straiten them and heat and let cool a few times to let the grains in the metal normalize I use pearlite amt the the next time I light off the forge I do my hardening. 

You're right, I should've normalized as you would a blade.  I didn't think about it until afterwards but it was a good learning experience.  I did get the springs HT'd and useable, but they were too stiff even with more tempering and didn't stretch as much as I wanted so I cheesed out and bought some springs from home depot.

Here's the hold down that I needed them for. 

post-34362-0-18963000-1372909182_thumb.j

I haven't yet tried it out but it should be handy.  When my son saw it's function he seemed a bit disheartened, asked if that meant he wasn't needed for holding stuff down anymore.  Told him no, he wasn't getting off that easy.