I Forge Iron

It's sculpture but is it art?

Just finished this for a customer today. to match some other sculpture's I did for him.
I used a lot of different techniques in this one piece.
The head, arms,tail, and legs are all forged to shape. the body was raised out of 14G corten, The wings were dished and then fluted on a stake. Then everything was tig welded together.

100_0857.jpg
100_0860.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments. Some times you get so close to something It's hard to have any kind of unbiased opinion about your own stuff.

Irnsgn, I'm afraid that I feel pretty much the same way about most (found art), and a lot of the abstract fabricated stuff that's around. I think if you wan't to make an abstact statement about something. Then that's fine, but you should have a firm mastery of your choosen medium first. Before you start ignoring the rules. Or your just doing it because that's all you can do. Which is taking the easy way out, and cheating yourself and the veiwer.

JOHNNY99, No matter the specific name you have done beautiful work. It has a nice flow and finish and as Irn said "very pleasing eye". Something to be truly proud of. I could never understand slapping stuff together (abstract) and giving it a name now makes it art or sculpture. Again what you have created shows a good working knowledge of your medium, skill and beauty....good job!!!
Tim