I Forge Iron

Hello young man interested in the arts of smithing

Kharen

I'm a 13 year old boy determined to keep the art of smithing alive. I practice sword,knife,and spear techniques.im very interested in ancient Japanese weapons such as Kusari-gama,katana,and Yari.After finishing highschool I plan to open a academy that practices smithing and combat.

Kharen,

I am glad to see that you are interested in blacksmithing and wanting to keep the art alive. I'm also glad to see that you are 13 years old because that means that you still have a lot of time to hone your skills and it will take time, practice and a willingness to learn.

If you post the general area that you live such as the state or country, there is most likely a group of blacksmiths/bladesmiths that could help you get on the right path.  

Look on the web for blacksmith groups in your area.

Mark <><

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Please put your general location in the header you may be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. If you scroll to the bottom of the IFI home page you'll find the sections for regional blacksmithing groups to help you make contact. An afternoon with an experienced smith will save you weeks, even months of learning it on your own.

Frosty The Lucky.

The reason why folks specialized is so that they could Master their particular craft rather than being only so-so at a lot of things.

Even in medieval europe people would travel long distances to go where sword or armour makers worked in a large town as the local smith even after 20 years of experience was still not trained as a blade or armour maker.

BTAIM, try *everything* and then narrow your focus as you find what you love.

somebodys gotta replace the older generation of smiths :) no offense intended

You're going to have to try a LOT harder than that to offend any of us Blake. About replacing us older generation types, I'm ready for a break, how about hopping on up and I'll just kibitz while you work? Seriously, I'm ready for a new generation barn cleaner, dog poop scooper, brush controller and . . . Tree killer.

Hmmmm, I'm a pretty darned good cook.

Frosty The Lucky.

feel free to ship your shop down here if you are ready to give it a break ;) 

You're going to have to try a LOT harder than that to offend any of us Blake. About replacing us older generation types, I'm ready for a break, how about hopping on up and I'll just kibitz while you work? Seriously, I'm ready for a new generation barn cleaner, dog poop scooper, brush controller and . . . Tree killer.

Hmmmm, I'm a pretty darned good cook.

Frosty The Lucky.

replacing old smiths:  well I've taught several HUNDRED young folks the basics and generally have two intro to smithing

classes per semester at the local community college and I'm just a hobbiest not like the folks with the professional smithing schools like Frank Turley, The Gunters, etc...

May I suggest you attend the next Quad-State and see 1000 or so smiths descending upon the tail gating and waving hands talking about stuff.

When I'm older I plan to study at the Dragon Fly Forge, also I read the beginner mistakes guide,safety,colors,anything else. Also I need one for types of metal and what they do like, sharpness or durability

WElcome to the site,,,,I would have spent some time with you in the chat room today,,when I said owdy you replied in something other than a language I am familiar with, then left!....

There is a ton of information on this site that will likely allow you to spend long hot afternoons seeking. Steel information is covered in the heat treat stickies and in the knife making lessons if you are truly interested.