I Forge Iron

I recently picked up an anvil with no marking or possibly faint markings. It weighs 218lbs. It has some surface rust making it hard to find any markings. I didn't know if anyone on here could help to identify it.

I attached a photo of what looks like some markings, though I cannot make them out. On the bottom right quarter of the phot there looks to be two more distinct markings and possibly a faint "R" a little lower between them.

Any guesses? Please let me know if you need more info. I'd love to know who made it. Thanks for looking.

post-31047-0-34906900-1371354059_thumb.j

post-31047-0-37264300-1371354070_thumb.j

post-31047-0-01746200-1371354080_thumb.j

I can't help with an ID but it looks to be in pretty nice shape. How's the rebound? Pitting on the body doesn't mean much, gives it character if anything.

Taking pics in oblique light will help stampings stand out. rubbing it with chalk, then wiping it off will leave chalk in low places like stamped letters, numbers, etc. OR you can do a paper charcoal rubbing. Of course it's possible there never were ID marks or they've been obliterated by corrosion.

While It's nice to k now the maker and age of your anvil it doesn't really mean much, what counts is it's condition and how it works.

Frosty The Lucky.

The rebound seems decent. I'm not sure I'll find a name on it. It's really pitted including the top. It's been outside a long time, possibly in that salt air. I got it on the coast of Maine. First order of business is to pressure wash it to get off the dirt and hopefully some of the rust. Maybe then more faint marks will appear.

I just didn't know if someone could identify it by any of its visual characteristics. I don't have Anvils in America, but it seems like everyone always references that book when trying to identify an anvil. How many anvils have triangle shaped ends on the feet? I saw a Wilkinson online that looks similar to the shape of mine, including the foot ends:
http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=21949