I Forge Iron

oops, gotcha moment

Dan C

Using the bandsaw in wood shop - split 10 mm up my index finger.

Cut the tip of my left thumb and side of my left index when cutting a branch with my sheath knife.
Angle grinding copper  to make a punch dagger only a few minutes work, young dumb, no PPE. Splinter in my eye - most disconcerting to have dug out with a needle when numbed.

Got a poem about my scar lessons:

My hands they are a tracery, a place to see,
The lines, the scars, life’s etched on me,
No gift for free, nor clarity,
Or talent, not paid in blood.

That once was riven, now freely given,
For metals and for wood, to spin to win,
For inks and string, for lessons now understood.

“For every thing there is a price”
Say those who feign to pay,
Cuts now and then? Well such things mend,
While knowledge never fades.

For a price is never costly,
When fair trade is freely given,
For to think, to do, to make, to use,
Is the purpose of all living.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I LIKE it, we can call it LOG Darts! We'll need to establish some rules but nothing extraordinary. The darts need fins and I don't know if rebar texture hurts or increases the steam pressure.

Let's see, driving the steam dart straight into the block would make the trajectory a LITTLE more predictable so a pair of tongs designed to hold it perpendicular are called for. Then the bottom of the block can be cut at an angle so the steam darts aren't aimed straightish up. (sort of, maybe)

Objectives and Target are at the player's discretion of course. Ooh, distance, height, target, pumpkins?

Oh is this a good idea, thanks Russel!

Frosty The Lucky.

I know that's gotta be dangerous, but dang it's tempting.

Had a fun one a couple of weeks ago. Wife called about 3 times in a short period (something with the horses....it's always something about the horses) while I was lighting the fire. Hadn't left enough coke, so dumped the green coal onto the lit charcoal and bit of coke....ring ring....

Honey, I can't talk right now. No, I don't think....about 1.5 min later walk back over to the smoldering pile of coal, still trying to detach myself from the conversation. Turn up the air...WHOMP!!!! FWOOSH!!!

The smoke (also read as highly flammable gases and non-combusted fines) filled hood and firepot flared off and shot out a big fireball. Stumble back over the anvil (and yes, I mean over), get up to find myself missing some head type hair, arm hair, and a nice trim on the eyebrows.

I know that's gotta be dangerous, but dang it's tempting.

Had a fun one a couple of weeks ago. Wife called about 3 times in a short period (something with the horses....it's always something about the horses) while I was lighting the fire. Hadn't left enough coke, so dumped the green coal onto the lit charcoal and bit of coke....ring ring....

Honey, I can't talk right now. No, I don't think....about 1.5 min later walk back over to the smoldering pile of coal, still trying to detach myself from the conversation. Turn up the air...WHOMP!!!! FWOOSH!!!

The smoke (also read as highly flammable gases and non-combusted fines) filled hood and firepot flared off and shot out a big fireball. Stumble back over the anvil (and yes, I mean over), get up to find myself missing some head type hair, arm hair, and a nice trim on the eyebrows.

Will you please hire a neighborhood teen to video you in the shop? AFV is calling your name.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...