I Forge Iron

Forging In July ( Sydney Australia )

Next month 6&7th July the Artist Blacksmiths of New South Wales is holding its annual yearly event
"Forging In July". To be held in the old Redfern railway workshop, which is now occupied by Wendie & Guido. The workshop is one of the best example of a steam powered blacksmith shop world wide and thank goodness it is heritage listed, governments would love to develop the prime real estate it is located on. The guest international blacksmith is British BS Jake James, who now resides in Vancouver. Other demonstrators include Moonie and ForgeMaster Phil showcasing a industrial forging under 7cwt Massey.
Keith Fludder knife making. Guido Gouverneur who run Wrought Artworks. Your truly demo on fold forming. This is the first time we have use Sydney as the venue, this will allow interstate BS the opportunity for cheap flights. To take part in this event membership of the ABA NSW is required, but that's the best $50 you will spend all year!!!. Anyway let the discussion roll.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That great Andrew, but is "Yay" a term a blacksmith would really use, I thought maybe "you beautie" or others that the monitors would
XXXX out.
Have just ordered the FIJ 2013 Tee shirts, and most importantly the Stubby holders, as I hear BS like a drink or two. I've got some photos from 1987 of the Eveleigh workshop and in particular the 1500 tonne Davy press in action, we were forging 12" square 3metres long, into 7" x 3". Had the aid of overhead gantry and team of six comprising of tradesman, apprentices and labours.

post-25255-0-35455100-1371257880_thumb.j  post-25255-0-26304700-1371258217_thumb.j

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to up load photos from iPad? Above post writing is all overt the place etc

• 2 weeks later...

hopefully the word will get around via our web site, face book page, this forum IFI and generally our members getting proactive and spreading the word. As stated before this is our first time holding the event in the "Big Smoke" Sydney, we have always been regional at least 5 hrs from the city and major population base of 4 million people. Our location of Eveleigh will be first rate, no better venue as far proximity to transport, International airport, so all those on IFI who are considering coming down under you don't have any excuses, accommodation thousands of rooms ranging from back packers to the Hilton, food outlets and central to most BS in NSW. Anyway the count down is on less than two weeks to go  

Hey guys, I will be joining the NSW Blacksmiths Association when I pay up, probably at the station. I am 15 so I don't have much experience except from what I have read and seen. I am a willing person though and I can't wait to see what happens there!

On the downside, I live in the Blue Mountains and will have to catch the train there both days, having to come back up each night. And I am still not sure about the dinner, my mum said I can't go because i would get home late and it's too dangerous, but I just think she doesn't want me hanging around "creepy old guys" like you at night.  :P .

Anyway, I will be coming to the event.

Mate ill be training it each day any yeah if your not getting a lift home with some one I would not be in the city on a saturday night. I almost got robbed a while back in there by my self. Ill walk from redfern station to get there if you want a walking friend

Hey Aceman

We will make sure that you get to the train Ok, I'll give Jimmy a call see if he is going, maybe you could ride with him to St Marys that way its only a short train ride.

If you want to shoot me an email to forgemasters@optusnet.com.au and send me your phone no etc then I'll text you mine, that way I can make sure that you get in safe and back home safe.

Phil

Thanks for the offer Toolish, sounds great! But why aren't you going to the dinner?

Mate I would be doing the dinner but the misses has me going to a party that night down in cronulla so ill have to skip it.

I am sure there will be enough time over the 2 days to network and spin a yarn with people.

Looks like a lot of Sydney locals are starting to come out of the wood work on this one, who knows I may even find another smith on the Central coast lol

Seems like there is a few in Newcastle which is only an hour from me which is nice, hoping to try and find some time to pop up to your shop Forgemaster and see how the professionals are doing it, just got to workout my family life a bit lol.

Looking forward to this event and meeting some people

Thanks guys for all the support,and Forgemaster, a lift would be great, if you could keep me updated on how that's going I would be grateful!

I think that it will be a lot easier to figure out how I will be getting home when we are all actually there talking to each other. We can figure all these things out when I get there.

Again guys, thank you for all the advice and support on this situation. My dad works in the American Air-Force and will be in Hawaii that weekend, or else we wouldn't be having all this hassle.

Mate I would be doing the dinner but the misses has me going to a party that night down in cronulla so ill have to skip it.

I am sure there will be enough time over the 2 days to network and spin a yarn with people.

Looks like a lot of Sydney locals are starting to come out of the wood work on this one, who knows I may even find another smith on the Central coast lol

Seems like there is a few in Newcastle which is only an hour from me which is nice, hoping to try and find some time to pop up to your shop Forgemaster and see how the professionals are doing it, just got to workout my family life a bit lol.

Looking forward to this event and meeting some people

Blacksmiths in Gosford, look up CGC Kymon, they are blacksmiths, as far as I know they have the only 2 ton (yes 2 ton) massey hammer in Aust, and thats as big as massey clear space go.

Well it's great to see everything is working out for Mr Aceman, that the blacksmiths spirit well and truly in action, great work Phil. This Sunday a group of us will be at Redfern sorting out the venue and making any last minute arrangements. Jake James will fly in Monday, have a quick tour of the facility and head up to the Hunter Valley with Will Mc and work on a project with Will, hopefully they will bring it to Sydney so we can see the end result. Mr Aceman my email is drewy67@gmail.com if you need any assistance along the way, get your parents to contact us so we can reassure them of the weekend.

, but I just think she doesn't want me hanging around "creepy old guys" like you at night.  :P .

Anyway, I will be coming to the event.

They seem like a first class lot,

However one thing you MUST  watch out for!! They might try to encourage you to watch Rugby at some point  & they encourage you to suport some arb.(the wrong) team. :D

Just kidding of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To  forgemaster, toolish & drewy good on ya, you're a fine example to us all.

Haha, watch it buddy, I'm playing rugby this year!

These guys are definitely first class, the amount of help they put in to get a kid they don't even know somewhere safely is incredible, and I don't know how many other communities would do the same for their kind. They are great examples and I can't wait to meet them all!

See ya soon,

Jakob 

Blacksmiths in Gosford, look up CGC Kymon, they are blacksmiths, as far as I know they have the only 2 ton (yes 2 ton) massey hammer in Aust, and thats as big as massey clear space go.

Do any smiths working there come on here at all?
Might try and give them a call and see if they like visitors. From the outside of their building you would not know what they do. Be handy if they let me play only 2 min down the road

Guys, I need the honest opinion of everyone that's going to the dinner on the following subject:

-Would it matter to you guys if i came to the dinner?

I want you all to know that I am 15, but I am pretty mature and have a good sense of humour.

Basically i want to know if you guys mind having a youngster around? I would really like your Honest opinion on this, don't be nice, just tell me the truth.

Thanks guys

Jakob

Do any smiths working there come on here at all?
Might try and give them a call and see if they like visitors. From the outside of their building you would not know what they do. Be handy if they let me play only 2 min down the road

I'll give you the number of a guy to call, he's the leading hand on the 40cwt, Mr Starling. That way you can at least get a foot in the door without having to talk to the idiots in the office.  I'll PM it to you.

Guys, I need the honest opinion of everyone that's going to the dinner on the following subject:

-Would it matter to you guys if i came to the dinner?

I want you all to know that I am 15, but I am pretty mature and have a good sense of humour.

Basically i want to know if you guys mind having a youngster around? I would really like your Honest opinion on this, don't be nice, just tell me the truth.

Thanks guys

Jakob

Hi Jakob

If you are 15 and interested in blacksmithing we will welcome you with open arms,  Xxxx I'm 47 going on 13 so I'm only a youngn, tell your mum we will look after you and make sure you stay on the straight and narrow.  Billy (Will Maguire) started pestering me for an apprenticeship when he was 16, and he still talks to me, so I cant see 15 being a problem.

If your parents want to phone me to talk to me that would be OK by me.  I'll PM you my number in case they want to just check I'm not some sort of criminal.  And I'd be the worst one of the bunch of guys going to dinner.

Phil

Phil

I'll give you the number of a guy to call, he's the leading hand on the 40cwt, Mr Starling. That way you can at least get a foot in the door without having to talk to the idiots in the office.  I'll PM it to you.

Thanks for that mate, be handy to touch base with the local smith for many reasons

Haha office folk lol I love randomly calls to people, Thinking it is best to call a head so I know when it is a good time to come down or knowing my luck Ill turn up on tools down day or packaging up products in boxes day lol