I Forge Iron

Forging In July ( Sydney Australia )

We aim to please, glad you enjoyed it.  The next day is at my workshop so I've been informed, sometime in August, difference is everyone gets to have a go (if they want).  Yeh I think that having other stuff going on while the main job is being worked on (so long as you have enough equipment so blokes are not falling over one another) adds to the event too (thats why we did it) sort of like allowing you to channel surf when the adds are on.

Phil

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Ill try and get the day off and make it up to your place, not too far from me which is nice.

See what projects everyone is up to. Guessing it will be similar people then the forging in july event, assuming blacksmithing is a reasonably tight circle of people, especially the employed ones.

I think I read somewhere that it was planned for the 10th of August, good to hear that no one has asked you about it though lol

• 2 weeks later...

G'day all,

Newspaper article about our recent Forging in July effort;

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/smiths-want-rare-bays-to-forge-on-20130724-2qjgm.html

special attention to Jake James (our beaut invited demonstrator and masterclass ringleader), Nigel (el-presidente), and Guido (keeps hammers bangin' at Eveleigh).

Thanks to everyone else there- I had a great time and it appears the other 55 did as well.

Interesting bit is about the local council of Sydney are expected to decide the next incarnation of Bay 1 & 2 by the end of the year...

listenin' out!

AndrewOC

Interesting read, wonder what will happen with it, Be an awesome place for smiths to meet up and pound away on some steel together. Being in Sydney one could really make it the "blacksmithing hub of NSW" Great facility be a shame to have it locked away behind glass.

Looks like on all accounts "Forging In July" was a huge success for the Australian blacksmithing community. Sydney was a gamble to what we usually do, the venue was first rate, everyone commented on the facility's. on the weekend the demos were vastly different from Fold Forming, knife making, large industrial forging, stainless steel artefact and the Jake James creation was superb. The week long master class went of without any hiccups.
Next month the ABA of NSW has its AGM at Forgemasters, so hopefully a healthy discussion on the event will take place. Personally I can't wait for it to happen all over again.