I Forge Iron

Forming 3/16 Bronze

I'm with Kustomsteel on this one, bump the thickness up to a 1/4" and cast it in sections and then weld them together and chase the seams. You don't need to cast it all in one big pour and if you want you could do each leaf separately in three sections and then weld them together. I know foundries are getting an arm a leg in fees these days, a friend of mine is getting all his stuff cast in Mexico because of the high prices here in the USA.

Just chukking this in as a thought! Sometimes when we(I) are in  the mood to play/muck around   I take a Bosch GSH 11E hammer, weld a head onto a sds max bit and "texture" a bit of ms plate Ala- Repousse on an industrial scale.

Ian

• 1 month later...

I thought I replied to this thread...was my posting removed or did I fail to post?

I mentioned a few books with info on forming sheet as well as two video which show some techniques.

At any rate...good info here and I like the work Michael.

Ric

Mr. Dillon,

I truly appreciate the idea of using a 500lb hammer to texture 3/16 annealed bronze. I believe there's some old saw about actions and words, but I can hardly recall my own name, with all this low frequency pounding...thump..thump..thump. Beautiful work, Take care, Matt  

• 2 weeks later...