I Forge Iron

Osage Orange

Quarry Dog

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get access to osage orange/hedge apple trees in southern California.  I've read in some old books that It makes excellent handles, and that it grows fairly quickly, and is very adaptable.  On top of that I have heard that insects don't like the fruit, and I also hear that it burns very, very hot.

If I could find somewhere to buy some trees, I would love to plant them on the property that I'm about to put a house on.

This Fall send a PM to remind me to pick up a bunch of hedge apples which I can post ot you .   There is a stretch of RR siding near me that is hedged with Osage Orange .   I would think you could grow a forest of trees from a few apples.   So far as trees ready to plant Idoknow. 

Have a look at this link.   http://www.ehow.com/how_5611111_propagate-osage-orange-trees.html

Wow, the google must be strong with you guys. 

@ Thomas: I'll try checking out those herbarias, and see if I can find a small tree/shrub that's ready to plant.

@ Knots: If that doesn't pan out, I'd be happy to arrange a flat rate shipment with you when the fruits start falling.

I know these things are thorny and hard to manage, but the benefits sound like they outweigh the issues, and it shouldn't be to much of an issue to just let 'em grow wild, especially if I weed out all the males after a few years.  Does anyone know if they're hard to train into a standard(aka a normal tree)?

Looks like it's growing in San Diego already I'm thinking it's mostly a matter of just finding it. I'd start calling nurseries, if they don't carry it they'll know who does. A little finger walking in the Yellow pages is in order. Califlora makes it sound almost like an invasive weed, you may be able to make a few bucks clearing it from where it's not wanted.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been looking and I've found that there is actually a thornless cultivar called "White Shield."  This variety is a male and so I won't get the fruit, but after some pictures I've seen, that may be a good thing, since that looks like quite the mess.  Unfortunately I've also found that this plant is one of the many that are agriculturally controlled in both California and Arizona and noone will ship it.  So it looks like I'm going to have to try to find it locally somewhere, or have a local nursery try and find a way to get it over here.

The fruit's not so messy, annoying if you hit it with a lawn mower. (my grandmother had one) Bodark trees are common in the midwest, they were planted in hedges by the WPA during the Great Depression in hedges as windbreaks against the Dust Bowl. Also supposed to be a good wood for bows (as the name would imply, bois-d'arc = bow wood).

If you're looking for wood right now, might ask trying-it (stan), I believe he said he's got a bunch of osage, he's often on chat during the day, and might be willing to make a deal. I've had good luck for handles with pecan wood (closely related to hickory), but doubt that's very common in San Diego.

It grows every where here in Nebraska.  I've cut some to use as tomahawk and knife handles but it seams to crack really bad during the drying period.  I've also got access to old hedge post.  The post are very old and dry, but there again they crack and split badly after cutiing them into slabs.  How does everyone else get around this problem.. It's great looking wood.