I Forge Iron

My first attempt

primtechsmith

Its a rare day...I, like many other members, have not posted pictures of my attempts in front of the anvil. Well, here is my first attempt at forging something sharp. It was a small ball pein hammer head. No wit is barely recognized as maybe a tomahawk. It took me a few heats to understand the difference between forging mild steel and the harder stuff. I learned a lot and hope to do better next time. This one will be in the next Iron In The Hat for our guild...I am also thankful the best picture I took was still blurry. ;)

Peyton

3062.attach

Peyton,
At least you've had success! Success has been a bit intangible for me so far, but that'll soon change.
I like it. I can still recognize it around the haft, but it looks like you put a good blade on it. Is the back of it still functional as a hammer? If so, that would make a decent camp axe!

I left the eye alone...for the most part. I did have to clean it up some from all the forging. Next time I will forge a drift first to fit the head then forge out the rest of the stuff to cut out my headache of fixing the hole. Yesteryearforge has a small building full of handles so I just found the one that fit the eye the best and went from there.

Thanks for the kind words.
Peyton

That's very good for a first. Here is a tip for the next one. Know that with a hatchet like this, when you set it down so that the blade and the end of the handle is touching the ground, the center of the cutting edge (perhaps a little above the center considering your hand isn't at the very bottom) should touch the ground while the end of the handle is on the ground. Your hand at the bottom of the handle is the pivot point so it needs to be in cahoots with the center of the edge....kind of hard to explain right now. If you are going to make axes, hatchets, and tomahawks, a copy of The Ax Book by Dudley Cook is great to have. He covers what I am talking about in it. There is a great chapter where he explains what makes an efficient ax.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great Peyton, I haven't tried anything like that, still making R/R spike knives, I want to make a spike tomahawk, however, I'm having trouble
upseting the metal, and I don't have the the proper tool to cut & drift the eye. but in time I will. :)

• 4 weeks later...