I Forge Iron

What Anvil Do I Have?

G'day all

I picked up my proper anvil a number of years ago and have been using it ever since but I am now curious what make it is and maybe how old it is? It has seen some use as it is slightly sagged towards the horn and the edges of the hardie hole are a bit warn but other than that its mint as far as I am concerned. I am in Australia if that helps with finding its origin.

DSCN1006_zps04a3860b.jpg

DSCN1007_zpsfcbbb6b4.jpg

DSCN1008_zps4cce5239.jpg

I understand that the 202 is a hundredweight measurement and we weighed it on a set of bathroom scales at 110kg (though I don't trust it). As you can see, there is a small "H" stamped on the front side of the heel. There is also a square hole under the horn going in towards the middle and also one under the heel. It definitely has a forge welded on plate and I have a sneaking suspicion it is forge welded at the base as well but its hard to tell. If you need more pics, let me know. I cant find any other markings but i might not be looking in the right places.

Cheers
Ryan

If you look carefully, the anvil actually says 2-0-21.  This calculates out to 111 Kg or 245 lbs.  I hope I don't offend when I say that it would appear your scale seems to be flattering whoever it's weighing but a couple of pounds, although your anvil may have taken insult to it.

That square hole under the horn is most likely a handling hole, for handling while they were forging/welding the thing together.  The "H" is most likely an inspection mark, judging by the fact that it looks like a plain typeface character.  I think the same goes for the "1" punched over the hundredweight stamp.

As far as the make of the anvil, I don't have the foggiest idea.  It looks to be in rather good shape though, so I personally don't think it really matters, especially not at a nice solid weight like that. 

Ah ok, it looked more like an "L" to me, lol. Goes to show how much i know about it  :D. Maybe someone will recognize the shape or a feature on it. Would be really interesting to know a bit more, thanks for the input Jerome.

lovely anvil, doesnt matter who made it!

you can see it is made of about 8 pieces, 4 feet, body, horn, tail, and face all welded together under a steam hammer

the square holes ( you will find one underneath) are indeed "handling holes) where bars were driven in to hold the anvil during the forging processes. 

i would suggest it is english, just to narrow it down.....

i am quite willing to be proven wrong.

You might, MIGHT learn more by doing a rubbing, paper and a soft pencil or rubbing it with chalk and wiping it. another trick is to snap pics in oblique light if the light is almost parallel to the surface details really stand out. I'm with Thoma though, there were thousands of anvils, mandrel cones, swage blocks, etc. made from similar or the same patterns. I have a swage block made to a Lancaster pattern but poured in a rail road shop during the territorial days of Alaska history. It works just like one made by Lancaster so I don't give a hoot.

Regardless, who made it and how old it is are only curiosities and have zero to do with it's functionality. she appears to be in excellent shape, is a great weight and you HAVE it. the rest if just funsies, don't sweat it.

The fellow I bought my Soderfors from told me it was a 17th century anvil, even though the date 1933 or 1938, (chisel marks) stands proud, part of the casting.

If someone just MUST know, make up a good story, maybe Capt Cook brought it along to have marlin spikes forged or who knows what? A good BSer could have a glorious good time don't you think? <wink> I don't think BlackSmithing and Bull . . . "Shooting" are both abbreviated "BS" by accident.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello Ryan,

I go along with the information above stating your anvil is English made. The triangular feet and built up construction (multiple parts forge welded to the central block) indicate an 'Old English' style forged wrought iron anvil with a steel top plate on the flat working face, probably made between 1820-1860. If any trace of a name stamping remains, it is usually on the side facing you when the horn is to the right - opposite of the side with the weight numbers. Old English anvils most often found in Australia are: Wilkinson, Attwood, Foster, Hadfield & Sanderson; certainly others are possible. Mouse Hole anvils are also found, but the name and numbers are both on the side facing when the horn is to the right. Most of the Peter Wrights are the later Patent ones with a ledge on the foot, but an early one made as yours is also possible. Looks great for 150 years old! Maybe post a picture of the other side..?

Cheers!

Forum was down so I didn't get to post this but here are a couple more pics.

One of the opposite side:

DSCN1014_zps6ab428d7.jpg

And the face:

DSCN1016_zpsdc3d7e0d.jpg

I had another look for markings but none could be found. I did however find what looks to be a weld line under the heel which i guess confirms it was welded together from a number of different bits:

DSCN1020_zps23d470aa.jpg

My original post probably came across wrong. I am just curious as to its origin and I have no problems with the functionality of the anvil it self, its beautiful to work on . Thanks for all the input so far, I find it really interesting.