I Forge Iron

The biggest helve you've ever seen

Normally those helve heads were cast iron.

Are you sure?  I would think they would be built up forged like these anchors were done.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_LA_R4ifYk  They start building up a piece at around 3 minutes into the video.  It is done under a hammer but then they do a big forge weld and weld in chunks by hand starting around 5:30.  They could weld pieces together  leaving an eye open in the middle.  Or this forge welding could be done with a smaller helve hammer. 

Are you sure?  I would think they would be built up forged like these anchors were done.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_LA_R4ifYk  They start building up a piece at around 3 minutes into the video.  It is done under a hammer but then they do a big forge weld and weld in chunks by hand starting around 5:30.  They could weld pieces together  leaving an eye open in the middle.  Or this forge welding could be done with a smaller helve hammer. 

The only ones I have seen were cast iron often with an integral die.  It is possible that some were wrought iron but I have never seen one, not that I have seen more than a 3 or 4.  I wonder how a build up forging would have held up in this application.  

Some are cast iron. There are a few around GA in parks laying in rivers that have clearly snapped in two and look very much like cast iron. Everything ells from the forge is long gone and cleaned up. Only some stone foundation and the big hammer head that fell into the river is left.

The only ones I have seen were cast iron often with an integral die.  It is possible that some were wrought iron but I have never seen one, not that I have seen more than a 3 or 4.  I wonder how a build up forging would have held up in this application.  

Interesting to hear they were cast.   A built up hammer would probably hold up  as well as the  built up anvil most of us have in our shops. 

Yes many of the heads had top and bottom dies held with keys just like modern power hammers.

The few helve hammer heads I have seen were cast but now that I think about it I would not know if they were cast iron, or cast steel?

Maybe next time I am at that part I will sneak down and spark test the big hammer in the river bead haha maybe