I Forge Iron

Brick forges?

TYB

Hey,

I was looking through the 'show me your forge' thread earlier and noticed a few brick forges, and was wondering if these have any specific pros/cons compared to a brake drum style forge?

Cheers,

Jordan

Hi Jordon,

It's much of a muchness really. I've only ever used side blast forges but by all accounts not much different than a bottom blast forge.

A brick forge would be easier to build. My very first forge used four red house bricks arranged in a square with a pipe. Going in one corner.

Check out this thread.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100296

I put together a simple working forge for under £20. It will get you up and running easy enough.

All the best
Andy

Not having to weld it together is probably the best reason for a brick forge.  Other than that, they are heavier, take longer to build, and are harder to modify as you change over the years.

Having said that, I'd still love to have one.  I'd make it far larger than I thought I might want, with a table that's at least 48" long, though I don't think I'd use a brick chimney.

Yeah... if you build a forge out of bricks, you need to make sure your design is perfect. Draw lots of pictures so you know what you want, even post it here so you're sure it'll work. And when you build it make sure you put it exactly where you want it because it'll be there forever... or until you take a sledge hammer to it. :D

• 4 months later...

It may not last forever, you need to make sure your foundation will support it over the long term, or you may have it fall over.  But I agree do not build a brick forge until you have been smithing a few years and already know what your long term needs will be.

Any of you guys know where one could get drawings or blueprints of brick or masonry forges?

Something that could be handed to a mason with instructions of "here you go get it done"

I'll buy them if any of you guys have them or would be appreciative if you could point me to a source.

George

I got mine form JeremyK.. ask I am sure he could just Email them to you, unless like me, he lost them in a upgrade.