I Forge Iron

So I just finished my first forge and tried out smithing for the first time, might anyone be willing to critique my first attempt at tapering and drawing out? i was using the same 1" diameter bolt for all of this

my forgepost-38555-0-45642100-1369323337_thumb.j

square taper

post-38555-0-22434100-1369323339_thumb.j

rounded taper

post-38555-0-71917000-1369323340_thumb.j

drawning-out, I'm attempting to make a pair of tongs

post-38555-0-27021800-1369323342_thumb.jpost-38555-0-84738600-1369323343_thumb.jpost-38555-0-32750200-1369323345_thumb.j

Critique?  Okay.

The tapers are smooth and relatively free of hammer marks.  The corners of your square appear sharp.  The curl is a bit off because it looks like it collapsed on itself.  This gives it more of an egg shape rather than a circle.  Not bad, but not "artsy" either.  Looks a bit wrong, but certainly a functional finial.

Overall, I'd give it a very high rating.  For your first attempts, getting that quality really says a lot about your potential.  Smooth tapers, sharp corners and a lack of hammer marks.....  that's excellent work.

Okay, you asked for it. <grin>

An uniform smooth square taper from round found stock. Crisp edges, properly square, no visible rhombusing. That step gets'a a high passing grade in my class. Rounded nicely only a very little texture left, on a smooth uniform round taper, solid passing. Finial scroll egged a bit but another solid passing grade for first attempts WITHOUT an instructor kibitzing over your shoulder.

For a your attempt at the anvil, Solo, I'd give you a solid A. If I were coaching on the scene it'd be a solid C+.

You have an eye and knack for smithing, keep at it and we'll be asking you're advice in no time.

Frosty The Lucky.

Cool:) I hadn't really been paying much attention to the curl, I guess I should have:P it was the point of the round taper so I was just trying to get it out of the way

and the half-of-a-tong-handle needs a good bit more work to make it exactly what I think would be good, as far as i can tell, but i'm happy I'm not doing too awful:P  

Can't wait to get back to my forge:):)

• 2 weeks later...