I Forge Iron

Suspicious Columbian?

With the C/triangle, looks to me like a Columbian. 

Does that look like a weld line at the waist to you?

I haven't seen it in person, this is just a CL  photo.

Columbians were cast steel- no reason for there to be a weld line there unless it was once broken off at the waist?

3I13L13F15I55Gb5K7d5h261e665bf0f61e24.jp

Honestly I can't tell anything from your picture. I doubt that a Colombian anvil would be broken at the waist when the rest of it looks to be in pretty good shape.

Molds, for any cast product, have a limited life and can become mis-shapen over time/use. I guess until you see it in person, its going to be impossible to determine if it

was broken.Could also be a West anvil?

Or it could have been a ship's anvil. I have seen a few that had been cut at the waist and welded down some where aboard a ship. Then when no longer needed rewelded to the same or a different base after retirement.

However I think that Jim is probably right since the joint is such a good fit and the weld really neat and well done. Most of the ships anvil re-welds that I have seen look pretty scabby and ill-fitted.

Greetings again Blackfrog,

To my knowledge Trenton or Columbus Forge and Iron made anvils for a lot of hardwares and suppliers..  The belt line weld one were after the 30s...  I have a few with belt line welds one 500 pounder..   I also have one marked Derby..  To my knowledge Columbian were cast and did not belt line weld...

More pictures and I might be able to help more

Forge on    Jim

DId you buy it?

Yes I did.

After looking closer at it, I didn't want to let it slip by.

Just got home today and started the wire brush treatment.

There's a really beautiful anvil under all the rust and dirt.  :-)

I can't find any weight markings on there as of yet.  The sellers thought it was around 300#, and I don't think that may be too far off.  There's a pic comparison of a 225# Trenton next to this Columbian.  Visibly beefier in every regard.  I'll get my 300# scale out this week for a better value, maybe it'll bottom the scale out.....

post-25745-0-53071300-1369012162_thumb.j

post-25745-0-94177400-1369012174_thumb.j

post-25745-0-40146300-1369012187_thumb.j