I Forge Iron

Copper piercing

SBrooks

I am interested in Frosty's ideas!  I have done some real interesting patinas on copper with coarse sawdust dampened with various salts and ammonia.  For this type patina the pieces are buried in the damp sawdust and sealed in tupperware for a few days to develop the colors.  Ammonia and acids in the sawdust will actually clean some areas of the copper while others are fumed to various shades and colors!  This gives a highly variegated patina which can be strikingly attractive.  The type of sawdust and salt/ammonia mix affects the colors and the coarseness/fineness of the sawdust adjusts the scale of the patterning.  These patinas are slow developing and so you have to leave them undisturbed till the patterns are fully formed... makes for some exciting anticipation while you wait... about two to four days usually!  I can see a whole NEW palette developing from the techniques you've shared Frosty!  Thank you!!!

Just "thinking" over coffee in the morning sun...................You know that thinking stuff will get you into trouble every time. Here in Arizona it will fry your brain cells.

I think that brain frying part would be the morning sun in Arizona wouldn't it Steve? We've been kidding Gordon about needing a parka seeing as it's been WAY down in the 60-70s here. Yeah, seriously low 70's yesterday, positively searing it was!

I've found I can go ahead and think so long as I don't tell anyone about what I was thinking. somethings I can get away with trying said unmentionable things so long as it's out of sight of the house.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am interested in Frosty's ideas!  I have done some real interesting patinas on copper with coarse sawdust dampened with various salts and ammonia.  For this type patina the pieces are buried in the damp sawdust and sealed in tupperware for a few days to develop the colors.  Ammonia and acids in the sawdust will actually clean some areas of the copper while others are fumed to various shades and colors!  This gives a highly variegated patina which can be strikingly attractive.  The type of sawdust and salt/ammonia mix affects the colors and the coarseness/fineness of the sawdust adjusts the scale of the patterning.  These patinas are slow developing and so you have to leave them undisturbed till the patterns are fully formed... makes for some exciting anticipation while you wait... about two to four days usually!  I can see a whole NEW palette developing from the techniques you've shared Frosty!  Thank you!!!

You are MORE than welcome. I tried doing some various patinas with similar methods but probably just wasn't patient enough. Burying both copper and brass in the litter box did interesting things in about a week.

Patterning the patination was something I never really got around to. I've always wanted to try net for pattern. I don't know if you can even get cotton twine netting anymore and I don't know if the synthetic netting is absorbent enough to work.

Frosty The Lucky.

I just recalled something I never tried but wanted too. Know a bee keeper? maybe Borrow his smoke gun and try Rakuizing(?) copper with it?
Just "thinking" over coffee in the morning sun.

Frosty The Lucky.

I do know a Bee keeper. Will definitely add to the list to try! Thanks Frosty :)

Thank-you for more Great ideas, can't wait to give them a try :)!!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...