I Forge Iron

Copper piercing

SBrooks

Hi Everyone and Many Thanks!!!!

This piece is 4"x4". The bottom layer is hammered and colored by liver sulfate. The top piece is started by drilling a hole and feeding the saw blade through. I believe I used a 4/0. I found that a good quality saw frame allowed for much greater detail. I switched part way through the project :). Bees waxing the blade was also a big help. The center upper heart shape is a rivet, as well as the birds nest, and corners.

Stunning piece, thanks for sharing.

If I may suggest, Instead of using beeswax try using hand-cleaner(without grit) it's cheaper and easy to remove/cleanoff ;)  

Another way to do this kind of work(much less work)  is to stick signage vinyl on the copper and then cut out the patern required with a scalpel/craft knife and then etch the patern through the sheet.

Ian

Very nice, the heart caught my immediately. This kind of saw work has real potential, some where in the human cleverness realm.

Bees wax for lube has it's drawbacks, it's tacky so cuttings stick to it and can bind in the cut. Paraffin lubes just as well and isn't tacky. I've never tried hand cleaner but will give it a shot to see.

Have you tried other patination chemicals? Liver of sulfur is fast and easy but is limited to the browns and blacks.

Thanks for sharing. More please.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank-you Frosty :)!

Will give the paraffin a try as we'll as the hand cleaner Ian suggested.

I haven't used any other chemicals for patanition. I have seen a number of recipes and excited to give them a try. Any in particular you like? I used the liver sulfate for this piece, specifically for the color range it allowed :)

Spit works well too is always close by. I like to saw out things too in copper and silver for jewelry and have found that I can make a sketch, put on my printers scanner and then adjust it for size, print it, then use rubber cement to attach it to the metal. That seems to work well for me. This way I can save the drawing if it turns out well to a thumb drive and resurrect it or modify it for another piece later on. I mostly just use heat to change the color of the copper and use liver of sulfur for silver.

I just calls em like I sees em, Lady in Maine.

Another thought I just had is for patterns. If you have a laser printer, reverse the image, lay it on the metal and lay a hot iron on it. It'll transfer. The same technique laid out for etching resist.

Most of my patination attempts have been on copper. Garlic oil made some interesting colors, ammonia vapor made a uniform "stature of liberty" green but the most fun and unpredictable was treating it like raku pottery. Heat it red and swirl it around various wood, paper, etc. smoky things. One effect I got but was never able to repeat was the raku technique in sawdust that had been dampened with ammonia, I got a delicious candy orange.

Frosty The Lucky.

I got a delicious candy orange.......Now that would be worth trying to get on a regular basis.

I tried duplicating it I don't know how many times. I still know what I did. Dampened coarse saw dust with household amonia and swirled hot copper in it till it stopped smoking. The orange was one of several colors. Think raku glaze, same active stuff (copper) same effects. and just as predictable it seems.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks so much for sharing Bentiron and Frosty. More fun things to try. Frosty how hot is the hot you are referring to? I always have a variety of sawdust and shavings mix here. May give it a swirl tomorrow :)

Thanks so much for sharing Bentiron and Frosty. More fun things to try. Frosty how hot is the hot you are referring to? I always have a variety of sawdust and shavings mix here. May give it a swirl tomorrow :)

It has to be hot enough to oxidize the copper and make the sawdust, paper, straw, whatever cellulose organic smoke. Dull red in a shadow, say 1,000f or a little less.

I got some cool effects by sprinkling the sawdust on the copper. I was trying for something like spots but kept getting different patterns some really cool. There was one that looked like ghost snake trails.

I dampened a couple cups of sawdust with ammonia and then mixed it with dry sawdust to give different materials at contact. Straw gave good patterns but didn't seem to gain from ammonia but that might have been then.

what's happening is the copper is oxidizing from contact with free oxygen in the air. the smoke from the burning organics is deoxidizing the copper in varying degrees making colors. If you completely cover the piece with dense smoke it'll come out clean copper, no colors. See the following link for examples or search Raku pottery or glazes. there're tons of sites.

https://www.google.com/search?q=raku+glazes+techniques&client=firefox-a&hs=M9H&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=7WCYUZSMGsmWiQL__oDYBQ&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=639

Frosty the Lucky.

SBrooks,

Nice work, I like that piece. Do you have more?

I do some repousse on copper and get different patinas with a small torch, no chemicals.

I remember you from the Royal River R & G Club, but I moved to Belfast a few years ago.

It's my pleasure Stephanie. If sometimes my mad experiments and ramblings turn out to be of value to someone makes my day. I'm really looking forward to process pics from you and your endeavors. One of the great beauties and true powers of Iforge is the free exchange of information. It's a feast.

Oh I do like having a name to put to posts. Makes it a little more personal and human but that's just me and of no real consequence.

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks lovely Stephanie, I love the non ferrous as well!!!  I started with non ferrous metals and moved over to the 'dark' side!!

All that piercing, you must have patience!! I made some ornate butterflies at college and too spent hours carefully piercing them out- then my very kind tutor showed me the etching tanks, I have to say, I would second Ian's suggestion - acid etch, much less work!!! Some people just love piercing though... I recall a lady who pierces copper so that it looks like lace, incredible!!!

Love to see more of your work!! :)

Thanks Dave :)! Will be sure to post them here as well.

I am looking forward to trying some of your "mad" experiments Frosty :)!!!! Appreciate all the sharing of information here. Learning a lot!
Thanks again :)!

Thanks Colleen :)!!! Love your reference to "the dark side" lol! Have worked and Loved both :) The etching sounds fun. I will give it a try. LOVE the piercing!!!! This piece was easy in the fact that I only drilled one hole to start, and just created as I went. The lace and Butterfly I'm sure we're a bit more intensive that way. I do so Love the detail that you can get with it. Not sure how the etching will compare.

Thanks again for the interest and suggestions. Hope to post more soon :)!!!

I just recalled something I never tried but wanted too. Know a bee keeper? maybe Borrow his smoke gun and try Rakuizing(?) copper with it?

Just "thinking" over coffee in the morning sun.

Frosty The Lucky.