I Forge Iron

Smith' Key - A Pictoral index of "all" tools available in the early 1800s

I am new to the site and the craft, and I don't have much to contribute around here yet but I hope this is helpful to some.

"Joseph Smith's Key to Manufactories of Sheffield" is a book full of engravings and names of tools.  I came across the following link at Lost Art Press via Jeff Burks, via Chris Schwarz: http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8529037p/f1.planchecontact#

I can see this being useful to a good smith as a reference if someone asked for a "Barbados" pattern grub hoe, or a "lathing" hammer.  You might want to download this to PDF just in case the link vanishes.  I am given to understand that print copies of this book are rare expensive. Note: Alibris has a few copies from US $70-$140

I debated whether to put this in books or tools, but if you click on the link you will see that it is less of a book and more of a "pictorial directory of various tools" (mostly iron and steel) so I opted to put this in Tools.  Mods - feel free to move if I have chosen unwisely.

I have a copy after I looked over the copy the 'smiths at Colonial Williamsburg have.  Ken (Ken Schwarz the master of the shop) told me that they use it to identify colonial tools, as well as recreate ones that may be needed for a restoration project as they use the tools of the time.  The CW smiths have made a number of the items in the book, including hammers, axes, and other tools.  It is a great reference and a good "project" idea book, especially if you like the colonial era.    It is a bit pricey though, I managed to find my copy for $50, but I do enjoy looking over it..

You might want to download this to PDF just in case the link vanishes.  ...

I would be surprised that the link would vanish. It is from the national library of France. This is what they do at Gallica, make old books available. For instance, I'm interested  in kitchen implements of Nouvelle-France, they have made available quite a few receipe books from that period.

On the other hand, one never kows ...

I would be surprised that the link would vanish. It is from the national library of France. This is what they do at Gallica, make old books available. For instance, I'm interested  in kitchen implements of Nouvelle-France, they have made available quite a few receipe books from that period.

On the other hand, one never kows ...

I had no idea, my French is limited to wood and matters concerning la dette de Lafayette.

There is a price sheet that would often have accompanied this book.  Bound separately, the two rarely remain together across the years.  The price sheet has more nomenclature and, obviously, cost data on each item. 

One can logically assume that a pattern book (or books) must have existed in Sheffield that would have accompanied the manufacture of these items - that would a boon to locate and scan.